Author Topic: Ceasar Rodney's Dinner Bell  (Read 7171 times)

coleman

• View Profile
Ceasar Rodney's Dinner Bell
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »
I have found something of remarkable historic significance.

This is the Dinner Bell that hung over Ceasar Rodneys barn in Dover, Delaware.  He rung this very same bell prior to his ride to Washington DC in 1776 for the signing of the declaration of independance.  This bell is at least 240 years old. 

I have all the provenance that shows who it belonged to, but...Whats the value?

Cole~

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Re: Ceasar Rodney's Dinner Bell
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »
For a piece with this kind of singular historical value, you should consult a certified appraiser.  I've never heard of Caesar Rodney -- many probably have not -- so it would likely be of greater value in the area where he lived, or to a local museum, or to a museum dedicated to the American Revolution (such as the DAR museum).

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:35:30 pm »
There is some interesting controversy about Rodney's ride:
http://www.donaldsauter.com/caesar-rodney.htm
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:38:32 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:41 pm »
I would look carefully at your provenance also, since there look to be some later pieces on this bell. The threaded wingnut and the nut under it look like modern machined parts and I would not expect an 18th century hand forged piece to be able to adapt to modern hardware as it would not have had machined threads. Maybe some parts have been added later, but you will want to know what is what before trying to value it.

You will also want to determine the material it is made from. Typically bells were made of bronze, not of brass or iron, as bronze produces a sweeter tone.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:45:19 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »
This looks like a much later brass bell !! What provenance do you have ?? If the bell did not belong to him but was just one that he happened to ring,, proving it would be difficult !!  Til now I had not heard of this person so his importance would need to be determined to get a value !!
How did you acquire the bell ?? Was this information that the previous owner told you ??

coleman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:32 pm »
The bell is cast iron, not brass.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:50 am »
The article and the picture help, but I think you're going to need to have an expert verify the age. Just because someone said in print that the authenticity is beyond doubt, doesn't quite do it. If its the bell, then getting this done can only solidify the story for you. Keep us posted on how it goes and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is declared 18th century!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:34 am »
I agree with the others that it looks like a much later cast iron bell, late 1800s. You're not crazy and the bell most likely is the exact same bell from the article. The problem is that today, in the 30s and since the printing press began, tall tales have been told. I just skimmed over the article, I find it suspicious that they say that the bell has hardware that was much newer than the bell. Almost like they knew that it couldn't possibly be from the period. I agree with the others that an expert should look at it because I would love if you owned such an awesome piece of history! It shouldn't cost too much money and we would all get a little history lesson in the process. Be sure to print out the article and take it to the appraiser. I can't imagine it costing more than $30 or so for an appraisal. Maybe less. Good luck!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:49:05 am »
http://www.brosamersbells.com/   Might try this place for an appraisal !! But I think you will need documentation to get historical recognition !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 07:01:40 am »
Great link, they seem like they would know everything there is to know about bells! $95 is a pretty steep appraisal price but a small price to pay if you consider the history involved.

coleman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »
Since I live in Delaware near where Ceasar Rodney lived, I have decided to contact the curator of the Delaware Historical Society, to see if she could reccomend someone she trusts to appraise and fully authenticate it.

I have double checked my provenance and have even obtained further documentation about its existence including other pictures from the past.

I will keep you guys posted on what I find out.

Thanks for your help.

Cole~

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
You're welcome! We will keep our fingers crossed for you!! You might also check with the Old South Meeting House in Boston. They recently acquired a bell made by Paul Revere and probably have just been through the process of verifying it. They could probably give you the name of a bell expert who could help or recommend someone closer to you. http://www.osmh.org/default.aspx

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:38:47 pm »
OK  maybe its just me but I see little ,historically speaking, about this bell except for those that live in the immediate area !! For the town it is a nice item to have !!  But that would be for local history !!  Just the fact that he rang it to get his help doesn`t do much for me !! But I have been with hubby all day at the hospital getting a test and I am tired !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:21 am »
Hope your Hubby is OK Mart!