Author Topic: What kind of chairs are these  (Read 1434 times)

scraig0628

• View Profile
What kind of chairs are these
« on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:14 pm »
I am trying to find out what kind and what era these chairs are from.  Someone said they were courting chairs but I haven't seen any others like this??

mart

• View Profile
Re: What kind of chairs are these
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:32 pm »
French provincial in style but I have never seen courting chairs made like that !!  Let me look a bit !! I am guessing 30`s or 40`s but cant tell much without detailed pics and a pic of the underside !!

scraig0628

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
I will take more pictures over the weekend and post.  Thanks!!!!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
Ok, Here is what I found about your chairs !!  They are called "one arm ladies chairs" and were originally (I am talking about the old ones) part of a parlor set !! The set would have a love seat a two arm gentlemans chair and a one arm ladies chair !! Back in the old days ladies wore skirts with a lot of fabric and petticoats and they could sit in these chairs without mussing up their skirts !! They have been made from late 1800`s to modern times !! Perhaps whoever bought the set originally purchased an extra for wife and daughter or had two daughters ???  Just guessing here !!
If you google "one arm chairs" and use Images you can see both old and newer ones !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »
It is very difficult to tell the age from the pictures.  The white French Provincial style was very popular in the 1960s and so was gold fabric. Look in any old furniture catalogs. They may be a lot older than that but it is very difficult to tell with upholstered furniture as it was made the same for so so long and many clues are hidden beneath the upholstery.