Author Topic: Antique Silver Frame and Mirror - Would like info  (Read 3993 times)

cassiereroni

• View Profile
Antique Silver Frame and Mirror - Would like info
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:55:19 am »
I have a very intricate silver frame and mirror that was my G Grandmothers.  I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me when this mirror might have been made and how to go about cleaning it up?  I read some advise saying not to clean the black off of it because the black acts as a preservative for the silver.  Then I read Don't let the black build up to much or it will eat away at the silver.  I'm sooo confused... ???

I am terrified to try to clean this thing myself for fear of breaking something off of it.  I am hoping that after a cleaning there might be some kind of hallmark or makers mark on it somewhere. Plus, I'm debating on whether or not to have the mirror itself re-silvered.

I have a couple more pics if needed.

ANY information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance,

cassiereroni
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Antique Silver Frame and Mirror - Would like info
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:50 am »
Welcome to the forum! Pretty mirror. :)
It's a bit hard to tell from the pics but it looks more like brass than silver from the color of it. Is it a gold color in person?
The dark areas on it won't damage it and it's actually more desirable to leave it as it is than to polish it up and make it look new again. Just wipe it down with a damp cloth. :)
Are you able to post pictures of the back of it? Might help give a better idea of age.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:26:46 am by hosman321 »

cassiereroni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:16:28 am »
Is it a gold color in person?

As a matter of fact, yes, there is gold coloring to it.  I don't know if anyone other than G-Grandma ever saw this mirror without the patina that is on it now.  It's been handed down through the family with each generation saying it was silver.  Maybe they just assumed that because it was so black.  I assumed it was silver because that's what I was told it was but I was confused over the goldish color to it.

Are you able to post pictures of the back of it? Might help give a better idea of age.

Geezz, I just went back and looked at the photos that I uploaded.  That mirror looks in better shape online than it does in person!  LOL

Am uploading two pics of the back.  Hope you can see them ok.

cassiereroni

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:21:50 am by cassiereroni »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:53 am »
Is that leather or paper on the back?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:22:38 am »
cassiereroni can you possibly take a clearer shot of the back similar to your first one and without decreasing the size? That way it can be enlarged and zoomed to make construction methods more visible.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:21 am »
Not entirely sure,, but looks like the frame is brass that was bronzed back when everyone was having baby shoes dipped in bronzing solution !!  Could be why your grandmother never cleaned the frame but only wiped it off as evident by the highlights on the frame showing a gold/brass color !!  Bronze should not be cleaned !!  However silver and brass was meant to be cleaned regularly and should be !! Would not imagine your grandmother or mine having a piece in her home that did not get cleaned as it should be !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »
I am going to say I believe that to be a Victorian mirror with a brass or brass finished frame. Make a tiny scratch in the back inconspicuously and look with a magnifier. If its gold its brass if its pinkish its bronze and if its silver it is plated. Bradley and Hubbard made a lot of plated metal decorative accessories. Is the any initials on the back? I am sure you put as magnet to it right? The grape leaf was a very popular Victorian motif in Victorian metal and Renaissance style furniture. Much cast iron furniture had this design and is still widely reproduced.  The beveled mirror, the design and the age of the back seal the deal for me. I would say 1880 ish. Nice piece!

eclectic.widgetry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:53:20 am »
Great piece! My great-grandmother had a mirror with the same design but hers was a bit thicker thicker frame made of carved wood. The mirror in that one was flat but had the same edge type. I don't know exactly how old hers was but I think that she got it around 1910. Pretty popular design for folks it seems. Hadn't thought of the mirror in years. Thanks for the memory jog! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:13:41 am »
Hi there and welcome to the group Eclecticwidgetry !!  This mirror looks to have a beveled edge !!  If I am seeing it right !!

cassiereroni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »
Is that leather or paper on the back?

Well, I'm not sure.  By feel, it feels softer than paper but by sight in areas that are worn it looks like paper.  However, there is some kind of material attached to the back of it (between the back and the mirror).  I could see a small portion of it poking out so I carefully took the tip of my letter opener and gently pulled on it to see if a bit more of it would easily come out without damaging it.  It did, so I am trying to get a picture of that as well as better pics of the back now.  (Had company all day yesterday so I wasn't able to get to it yesterday.)

And to mart:

Yes, this mirror has a beautiful beveled edge.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »
How big is this mirror and frame ??

cassiereroni

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »
How big is this mirror and frame ??

"Big" isn't a word I would associate with this mirror.  ;)

From the top of the leaf that's positioned at the top of the mirror to the bottom bar is 6 1/2" and from side to side is about 5 1/4".

The new pic are below.