Author Topic: Another Federal period piece  (Read 8742 times)

dr612

• View Profile
Re: Another Federal period piece
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:54 am »
This one definitely was the right price, and it works great as a nightstand or small end table.  I am still interested in defining the period and regional origin.  If we can get this to page 2, I will post some smaller pictures so that Mart can see them.  I, too, am pretty sure that it is mahogany, although woods can be tricky.   

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:58 am »
Since we have made it to page 2, here are some smaller pictures of the wood and extended leaves:

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:03 am »
Here are the front and rear drawer dovetails.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:02 am »
Its an old piece for sure !! How old I will let Jacon4 answer as he is much better on this furniture period than I am !!   These smaller pics are way better !!  But still I see some that looks like mahogany and some that says pine to me !! Especially that last side shot with the leaf up !!  It could possibly be the way it was cut/milled !! And lots of things are difficult when looking at pics on a computer screen !!  If its pine it is old growth !! And you can`t always tell from the color because it will change over time and depend a lot in what species of pine was used !! I have seen several items that that were pine that mellowed into a soft red color over the years !!  Some oils used as polish could also affect the color !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 04:34:14 am »
 I am still interested in defining the period and regional origin.

Sheraton, American, first half 19th century, guesses C. 1830-40s. Region could be anywhere along eastern seaboard. These stands which were originally called "light stands" & replaced candle stands starting about 1800. Three leg candle stands were just not stable enough to support a whale oil lamp filled with oil so these four leg stands solved that problem.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:18 am »
Jacon4,, is there a specific difference in the pembroke or occassional table or stand and light stands such as this ??

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:48 am »
Pembroke tables are usually larger than a stand but smaller than a dining table.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=klY1T63DBM2EtgeauLmXAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=9047l9047l0l9484l1l1l0l0l0l0l250l250l2-1l1l0&oq=+pembroke+table&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1g-S7g-mS1&q=pembroke%20table

Popular in the last quarter of the 18th century in england, i think there is a "Lady Pembroke" who first had one made and thats where the name comes from. Also called a breakfast table, you see American ones usually in the Chippendale (1770-1790) or Hepplewhite style (1790-1830) fairly often at auction.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »
While looking for info on this one I checked a number of pembroke tables and sizes were all over the scale and many styles !!  Just wondered if there was  anything definitive but sounds like its all in who calls the shot !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:17 pm »
Interesting Jacon!  You gave me new avenues to pursue while researching my table as well.  I have always thought of it as a Pembroke but (like Mart) noticed that sizes are all over the map.  "Pembroke" seems to have become the "generic term to describe any table with fold down extensions....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »
Yeah,  dictionary = Pembroke table 
noun
a drop-leaf table with fly rails and with a drawer at one end or each end of the skirt.

Basically a breakfast table but you are right, no set dimensions. This is a more formal furniture form which in america was found in philly, NYC, charleston, boston etc. You really dont see this type of table in rural or country settings.

I would note that "light stands" are referred to today as "work stands" at auction.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:05:00 pm by jacon4 »

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
Thanks for the discussion.  I originally thought it was a Pembroke table, because of the drop leaves, but I decided that the Pembroke table style didn't have the width and depth of the chest that exists here, with Pembrokes only having one drawer and perhaps a false drawer front on the other end.  I then decided it was a work table (not a sewing table since it didn't have an open bottom and bag), but those rarely seem to have drop leaves.  Interesting. Thanks again.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
Here is a breakfast table from about 1750. Today these are called "tavern tables" but they were in most colonial homes during the 18th century as well so they must have been called something besides "tavern" but no one knows for sure. Handy little tables for 1 or 2 person dining.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:30:55 pm by jacon4 »

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »
Wow.  What a pretty piece.  Nice condition for that age.  (Heck, any age for that matter.)  Beautiful turnings.  Very nice.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »
dr612, Thanks, yeah, one thing for sure, this lil guy never saw the inside of an 18th century tavern, lol. Small dining tables like this were found in most colonial homes, usually in the kitchen. This table has a cherry base, single pine board pinned top, vase & ring turnings in the william & mary style.

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »
It's absolutely gorgeous.  Down here, you rarely ever see anything colonial.  Federal sometimes, and a good bit of Empire, but nothing that early.  At least not that I have run across.  Nice piece.