Author Topic: oval marble top table  (Read 7024 times)

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
Re: oval marble top table
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:41:16 am »

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:19 am »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:12 am »
Bowtieguy could you take some shots of how the legs are attached, any joins on the underside. Hardware and methods of joining can be a key to age. Those can often give a time frame based on the method of construction and/or type of hardware (i.e. screws/plates/finish)

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
hows this?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:08 pm »
From what I've seen from the images , looks to be no older than the 1960's .... with what appears to be nice mortise & tenon construction , & 'screw-on' legs .

Have not checked out all of the images (yet?) , so I have no opinion as to the item being 'cultured' marble or the real deal , though .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »
So what is the value of something like this? My friend that buys and sells things on ebay, and craigslist offered my $250 for it but I dont want him to pay too much and loose money, nor do I want to get too little for an item I would otherwise like to keep.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
I agree with Fancy on the timeline !! Worst thing I see is the wood needs feeding,, likely it is dried from storage !! I think that is a really good price if your intent is selling it !! It looks like a good quality coffee table and what he offered is fair and reasonable as long as it is in good condition and not loose !! The marble makes no difference if cultured or natural as far as sale goes for a newer piece !!  I just tend to notice stuff and I really can`t be sure anyway !! Now you would not want to put a cultured top on old furniture although you really would not know the difference !! Cultured marble is very,, bold I guess is the best way to put it !! Natural marble is to me more subdued and softer in tone !! Old furniture should not be overwhelmed by the marble top !! Needs to flow together !!

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »
Thanks for the info! Now, do you think my friend would still be able to make money off of it, that is his intention, or should I tell him to pay me less for it?

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 08:51:42 pm »
What should I do or use to clean/condition the wood?

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »
Thanks for the info! Now, at $250 do you think my friend would still be able to make money off of it, that is his intention, or should I tell him to pay me less for it?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
I do not think your friend will be able to make money off the table at $250. The hardware tells the story, it's definitely not antique. It is nice and well made, but not very old. Marble top coffee tables do seem to still get a decent price on Craigslist at any age though. They are running about $50 to $250 on our San Francisco Craigslist. The little scenic medalions will probably be what sells it, since those are unusual. Some lady will fall in love with it and have to have it.  :)  If you are trying to help your friend, maybe you can have him/her sell it for you and split whatever you get for it. It might sell better in person at a garage sale than on Craigslist where it is in competition with lots of other coffee tables.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »
 :) Thanks, thats about what I was thinking. Im glad you validated my feeling. I think craigslist might be the way to go, I will probably try and sell it myself unless he really wants to make me an offer. It really is a nice looking table and I have no doubt someone will fall in love with it and "have to have it!" haha

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
Include a good close-up picture of the medallians in your listing, someone will love the lady being serenaded by her sweetheart!  ;) It might be good to try listing it as the perfect Valentines day gift, if you can get it on Craigslist in time.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:49 pm »
As for the wood,, any good light oil will do,, lemon oil, tung oil,, just put it on evenly and let it sit ( I like overnight) and wipe down or buff next day !! That gives the oil time to be absorbed into the wood !! After a few days repeat the process !! It may need several treatments !! You can tell that the oil is being absorbed because the wood will go a bit dull in spots after a few days !! Storing furniture  dries out the wood and will cause joints to get loose !! You can mist the underside with warm water and a hand sprayer to add moisture !!

Bowtieguy22

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 05:33:31 pm »
I used old english on it, i used to dark wood formula first, then a few days later I used to conditioner. I will try the warm water spray as well, thanks!  :)