Author Topic: Newcomb college USA art pottery?  (Read 1683 times)

chonji

• View Profile
Newcomb college USA art pottery?
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »
Hi all, I though this might have been scandanavian, but with a little more research this small curious pot with a pouring spout seems to be from newcmb college potters? Does anybody think this EH stamp matches that of
Edith Emily d’Hemecourt Hibbard ??

I can only find limited example images of her work and only one example of her stamp, if anybody has any other resource links or ideas on authenticity, or indeed is knowledgable about the newcomb college and period of operation (it was new to me)  it would be appreciated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Newcomb college USA art pottery?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »
I found this one that Live Auctioneers said was possibly her stamp:

http://p2.la-img.com/33/15103/4934820_3_l.jpg

This one says it is her work but they do not show her mark, they just say it is marked with her EH.

http://www.nealauction.com/archive/0207/lot/porcelainpottery/

Also this, but no photos: http://www.artnet.com/artists/edith+emily+d'hemecourt-hibbard/past-auction-results
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:46:37 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:14 pm »
From what I have read, Newcomb pieces are always marked with the initials of the college along with the maker. Also the rough unglazed underside of the piece is reminiscent of studio pottery from the 1970s. I am not an expert but from what I have seen from Newcomb College the underside would be glazed and marked, with an unglazed edge. The piece also shows no wear or dirt that would usually be present after 110 years.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »
From what I have read, Newcomb pieces are always marked with the initials of the college along with the maker. Also the rough unglazed underside of the piece is reminiscent of studio pottery from the 1970s. I am not an expert but from what I have seen from Newcomb College the underside would be glazed and marked, with an unglazed edge. The piece also shows no wear or dirt that would usually be present after 110 years.

I would agree.

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:26 am »
Yea the bottom does seem a little too clean, it may well have been scrubbed up or even sanded, the mark is identical to one i saw for the artist, with the - extended between the E H , but then its easily possible somebody else would think up this same twist on their initials. I dont think anybody would deliberatly fake this, if they had surely they would have done some ' ageing ' to the base at least. Other potters I thought of were Eigil Hinrichsen and perhaps an Eddie Hopkins who is astudio potter from England, but i have not really seen any examples of his work or marks.

Anyone else know any EH studio / art potters?