Author Topic: Late 19th Century Tumbler I bought (photos too)  (Read 2585 times)

LiverpoolSte

• View Profile
Late 19th Century Tumbler I bought (photos too)
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:04:31 am »
Hey,

I was browsing some little curio shop/antiques shop and come across this "Late 19th Century tumbler", I'm quite pleased with it actually.

Probably nothing, just wanted some feedback as it's my first antique buy as I am considering getting into collecting. I had a look at similary aged/style tumblers online and saw them going for £90-£140.

I've never really bought an antique before (im only 20 anyway!), but I do have an interest in them. However, I would have no clue as to how to identify certain makes, age or values and the likes, though I do quite like art deco stuff, and I can identify that (I don't think this tumbler is art deco, and it wouldn't be if it was late 19th Century either - but it does have elements of the style)

Anyway, I bought this tumbler for me to drink gin out of, I have no intention of reselling it but I wonder if you think I got a bargain here (or even ripped off? :P). I paid £9.50 but the quality is excellent; as is the condition especially for it's age. It has a hefty weight and the glass is very thick, has very minimal damage aside from a bit erosion at the contact points of the base. It is quite large and has some interior (not open) bubbles in the glass betraying that it is atleast older than 1920 (or so I've read). The cut is also quite stylish in my opinnion, and it just has an overall feel of quality. There are no markings on the glass with regard to it's make or anything.

Any insight as to it's make would also be greatly appreciated.

Here are the photos (It's quite difficult for you to see the cut, due to the transparency of the glass but I assure you its got a nice cut :P):

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:34:58 pm by LiverpoolSte »

LiverpoolSte

• View Profile
Re: Late 19th Century Tumbler I bought (photos too)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »
Anyone? :P

Sorry for the bump, just don't want the thread to slide down the forum to oblivion unreplied.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »
Pretty cool Tumbler, but first what is the clue that gives you the date of late 19th century, if it is Bubble in the glass this is not always a clue, yes early glass does tend to have bubbles, but so does modern ones.  I will pull out my book on early century tumblers and see if anything comes up, but to find makers and date on glassware can and is a daunting task.  It does appear to be crystal glass, which is a bonus, lightly tap it with a fork, if it rings then most likely it is crystal, if you get a thud then it is glass.  Early glass for the most part is glass, but much cut crystal was made for the rich in the Victorian and Edwardian period, but usually this is cut with pattern glass designs, some plain designs was made but for the most part it was cut.  How tall is it?  It appears to be more of a Highball Glass then a tumbler.  Being in the US not exactly sure what 9.50 is here, but I usually can get a nice Crystal Highball for under $5.00, but this is a modern one, we don't see many EAPG Highball or earlier for the most part here.

LiverpoolSte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »
Pretty cool Tumbler, but first what is the clue that gives you the date of late 19th century, if it is Bubble in the glass this is not always a clue, yes early glass does tend to have bubbles, but so does modern ones.  I will pull out my book on early century tumblers and see if anything comes up, but to find makers and date on glassware can and is a daunting task.  It does appear to be crystal glass, which is a bonus, lightly tap it with a fork, if it rings then most likely it is crystal, if you get a thud then it is glass.  Early glass for the most part is glass, but much cut crystal was made for the rich in the Victorian and Edwardian period, but usually this is cut with pattern glass designs, some plain designs was made but for the most part it was cut.  How tall is it?  It appears to be more of a Highball Glass then a tumbler.  Being in the US not exactly sure what 9.50 is here, but I usually can get a nice Crystal Highball for under $5.00, but this is a modern one, we don't see many EAPG Highball or earlier for the most part here.

Hello!

The clue is that it was sold labeled as "Late 19th century tumbler" and the shop I went to is pretty reputable and established in Liverpool. As I said, I'm no antiques expert :P. To be honest I went in looking for old hardback literature and came out with a glass! Go Figure! :P

It's 4.5 inches tall or 11.43cm.

£9.50 is $15.04

I don't think it's modern though, despite it's good condition, it looks old - the base is quite eroded, seemingly by friction rather than mishandling - and the quality of the cut on the glass (quite sharp edges with smooth concave depressions between) makes it seem as though a lot of work went into it and I've never personally seen that on modern glassware.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:16:15 pm by LiverpoolSte »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:26:23 pm »
Honestly, without holding it in my hand I couldn't tell you if your tumbler is Flint, Leaded, Soda, or something else. But, the most important key to buying for yourself is the old saying: "buy it if you like it". No one is a better judge to what pleases you than yourself. As for buying your first "antique"...I think you did just fine. If I was a gin drinker I would consider a classy $15 tumbler a bargin.

LiverpoolSte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »
Honestly, without holding it in my hand I couldn't tell you if your tumbler is Flint, Leaded, Soda, or something else. But, the most important key to buying for yourself is the old saying: "buy it if you like it". No one is a better judge to what pleases you than yourself. As for buying your first "antique"...I think you did just fine. If I was a gin drinker I would consider a classy $15 tumbler a bargin.

Cheers mate :)

Do you think, (in monetary terms) it was a good buy though?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »
    Looking through my two books of early Tumblers, I did find 2 almost like yours.  The base is called Elephant toes.  The two that I saw was made by U.S. Glass company both in the early 1900's, but the pattern does not quite match.  However my book pretty much just cover U.S. Glass, and since you are over the pond, it was most likely made there.  Maybe reference Elephant toes and you may get closer.  As for the value, if it is late victorian or early 1900's then you did well, not much of this glass is around anymore.  However to get a better resale value you will need to get the maker and Cir. pegged down.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »
Like was said its difficult to judge what is a good buy without seeing it in person !!  If you bought from a shop it likely was a bit overpriced compared to one purchased from an individual,, but thats common and expected !! Next time you visit that shop ask the owner what the pattern of your glass is !!  Then look it up on google !! If they said it was that old they should know more than just the age !! If not I would doubt the age they told you !!   I could take any piece of glass and say its late 19th c. but as a good seller,, I would need to give enough verifyable information to prove it !! Otherwise its just my opinion !! Once you get additional info,, get online and compare selling prices on the same glass !!  Then you will know how well you did !! But as we always say,,, if you like it,,, you did well !!