Author Topic: Oil Painting Frustration  (Read 4185 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Oil Painting Frustration
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
 I wanted to post this a while back but there were issues with the photos loading. I was in a thrift store and found this oil on canvas. It was 5.00. When I was paying for it I noticed a small round ticket, that was apparently there for a long time, stuck to the edge of the frame that read $250.00. I have a pretty good feel for art and know what is a good use of motion and space and can really see an individual style in this work. Almost impressionistic. I have tried to research the name but I can't really be sure what the name says. Each time I look I see different letters. The frame looks like it is from the  50s or 60s and is apparently original to the piece. It may be a little later or possibly earlier but I think I am pretty close with an educated guess.
Does anyone have a clue how to find out who the artist is and what the value may be. If it was 250.00  50 years ago it must be worth something. Ya think?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:46:03 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Frustration
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:04 am »
Thats a pretty well done painting technically !!  The first letter in the name is G isn`t it ?? I will look !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:49:07 pm »
Thanks Mart. As an artist I value your opinion. It looks like a G sometimes or an over lapped combination of letters other times. If you find out who it is, it would be one less of my mystery art pile. 

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:01:57 pm »
Maybe Goita???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »
I looked through 20th century American artists and found nothing similar !!  Its always possible that this was not a listed artist !! Perhaps no sales record !! Or its not by an american artist !! Can you take a pic of the back with one corner so I can see the canvas and how the stretcher keys are made !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:59 pm »
Unfortunately it is one of a boatload of items that are still in storage in Florida from when we moved a year ago. My unit would be a Storage Wars fantasy show. Fortunately the rent is paid. From what I remember it is a tongue and groove stretcher joint. Very typical. I think it was held by one of those things that looks like a miniature crinkle slicer. Not positive though.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:41:44 pm »
This looks like the same signature just nicer. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8046961

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:56:43 pm »
Those crinkle things are what hold the frame together and would date the frame as late 1900`s !! Stretcher keys are what keep the canvas tight after painting is dry !! Sometimes we get a little rough with the brush strokes and the canvas will stretch while working !! After it is dry there are usually 2 plastic/wood keys that are put in corner grooves and tapped in to tighten it up !! Older frames had wood keys and all the newer ones have plastic !!  Really old canvas may have none !!  Will look more tomorrow !!
Let me know if Storage Wars film in your town !!  Love that show !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »
Excellent Kevin !! You found it !! Same style !! Very impressionistic !!  There was a group of California impressionists mid 1900`s !! I will check on them tomorrow !! Tried to google that name and all I found was Guitar art !!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:05:34 pm by mart »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
Amazing! Thanks. I found the painting in Clearwater Florida which is next door to St. Petersburg. I actually sold a pair of lamps in that same auction house once. Someone must have had a few of these in the area and donated them to local thrift stores One found its way there. I found a listed French artist in the same store a week or two earlier and another customer grabbed the mate to it at the same time. Small world. Now if I can find a little more out. Thanks a lot.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:39 am »
I looked a bit last evening but all I found was your painting and the one Kevin found !! I will check a few things !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:47 pm »
Guita Painting found in Florida, there are two artist Guita paintings known, so far. One here and one on a post above. This is for the next person looking on Google. A little SEO doesn't hurt. The next guy won't have to look as hard.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »
I checked the most popular American Impressionists but his name was not there !!  If he had been active in the movement its likely he would have more work out there !!  I  am guessing that this artist was likely a local artists that followed the impressionist style !! Perhaps he had a local gallery that handled a few of his paintings and thus the price marked !!  You might try looking in the phone book locally for that last name !! Its a long shot but you got nothing to lose but time !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
Thanks everyone! I would think there may be a Florida connection but the seascape is definitely not Florida although there are artists who wintered there and painted up north too. There are so many little known artists of great talent, just as singers and writers.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:17:01 pm »
Don't know if this is anyway related.......no pictures of works and they are water color  ::)

University of Washington

http://www.lib.washington.edu/ougl/archive/exhibit/monfaredi/

Autumn Scenes by Guita Monfaredi

An exhibit of watercolors by Guita is on display in the photo display cases, OUGL first floor west, throughout fall quarter. The paintings take the viewer into the richness of autumn in the countryside through their vibrant colors and sense of calm reflection. Guita will be exhibiting oil paintings and prints in Gallery 110 starting October 6, as part of the upcoming festival, Sadaa: Voices of Women