Author Topic: Urgent - Help with value of Bohemian Crystal Glass Water Decanter  (Read 2027 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile

So I found this amazing water decanter on ebay and I believe it is worth wayyyy more than it is listed for but I want to see if anyone here has a clue???? It is a Bohemian Cut Crystal glass bedside water decanter and it is a beauty! I can just imagine this in a wealthy person's house back in the day on their nightstand. I want to get it but just dont know how high to go on this auction. Here is the link...check it out and let me know what you think it is worth?:?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270911584641?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_500wt_1345

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Urgent - Help with value of Bohemian Crystal Glass Water Decanter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:15 pm »
Personnally without the stopper it would not be worth your buy,  It is a pretty one for sure but These are by no means rare, or old, and I would hold out until you get one with a stopper.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:31 pm »
Just had to find out what a 'tumble up' decanter was   ::)  Never realized they actually made them in such a way as to use the glass/tumbler as a cap/cover. 

Just heading for bed but my curiosity is peaked with this beautiful set........will have to take a look around tomorrow.  ;)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
The "tumble-ups" I've had in the past were designed to function without a separate stopper. That being said, I would be leery of this one as being a true antique. As a pretty piece of decorative glass, it might be worth what they are asking.
(I found it curious when checking completed sales of this type of item, I see an identical set was sold by another seller. In comparing the auction photograph from the two sellers...they are the same, even the shadows cast. Hmmm?)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:32 am »
Tumble-ups are quite collectible. Just do a Google “image search for …… "tumble-ups" antique

There are literally hundreds of different shapes, sizes and colors to be found.

A friend of ours once had quite a collection of them.

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:35 am »
Personnally without the stopper it would not be worth your buy,  It is a pretty one for sure but These are by no means rare, or old, and I would hold out until you get one with a stopper.

I dont the tumble up decanters are supposed to have a cork???? What does everyone else think? Thanks for the replies...I am probably going to be bidding on this one. I think it is beautiful!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:55:11 pm »
     Yes for sure my bad, I did not know what a tumble up decanter was until now, Guess it is crow stew for me tonight   :D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:54:49 am »
I dont the tumble up decanters are supposed to have a cork? What does everyone else think?

If it had a stopper, cork or otherwise, it wouldn't be a tumble-up.

The drinking-out-of tumbler is the "stopper", .... thus its name. You turn the tumbler "up" ..... upside down and place it on the top of the container of water.

These were made for use on bedside tables so that one could have a "sip" of water during the night time or whenever. And the flying bugs and crawley things and dust couldn't get into your drinking water.