Author Topic: What is this? I'm stumped!  (Read 2135 times)

K.C.

• View Profile
What is this? I'm stumped!
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:47 pm »
I am doing a clean out on an old New England home.  The contents span 175 yrs. so far.  One house member did a lot of international travel in the early 1900s, so I have a lot to go through.  But this one stumped me.

It's a very old round iron disk about 2.25" across.  There are two odd shaped holes in the center (one oblong, the other arrow-tip shaped).  On the front are a few raised relief branches tipped in gold paint, and what appear to be birds in flight, also tipped in gold paint.  The back has a few tips of gold paint, and some sort of round marks, which look almost like soldering marks.  Could this be a buckle?  Japanese?

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: What is this? I'm stumped!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:59 am »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:22:44 am by hosman321 »

K.C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:00 am »
Welcome to the forum! It is a sword guard. Others are seen here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGdd6l8T1PdScA1nVXNyoA?p=sword%20guard&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web

Thanks!  I think I'm seeing a hut type relief in the bottom right corner; with gold fish underneath, and trees around.  Perhaps it's a relic from previous owner's trips to Fiji, where he brought back an antique bow and arrow set.  More to come in the next few weeks. 

ricer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:08 am »
Welcome to the forum! It is a sword guard. Others are seen here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGdd6l8T1PdScA1nVXNyoA?p=sword%20guard&fr=yfp-t-701&fr2=piv-web
I agree, not that I am any kind of expert, but it does make very good sense.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:24 am »
Nice piece!
Here's some information from Wikipedia:

The tsuba (鍔?, or 鐔) is usually a round or occasionally squarish guard at the end of the grip of bladed Japanese weapons, like the katana and its various declinations, tachi, wakizashi, tantō, naginata etc. They contribute to the balance of the weapon and to the protection of the hand. The tsuba was mostly meant to be used to prevent the hand from sliding onto the blade during thrusts as opposed to protecting from an opponent's blade. The chudan no kamae guard [3] is determined by the tsuba and the curvature of the blade. The diameter of the average katana tsuba is 7.5–8 centimetres (3.0–3.1 in), wakizashi tsuba is 6.2–6.6 cm (2.4–2.6 in), and tantō tsuba is 4.5–6 cm (1.8–2.4 in).

During the Muromachi period (1333–1573) and the Momoyama period (1573–1603) Tsuba were more for functionality than for decoration, being made of stronger metals and designs. During the Edo period (1603–1868) there was peace in Japan so tsuba became more ornamental and made of less practical metals such as gold.

Tsuba are usually finely decorated, and nowadays are collectors' items. Tsuba were made by whole dynasties of craftsmen whose only craft was making tsuba. They were usually lavishly decorated. In addition to being collectors items, they were often used as heirlooms, passed from one generation to the next. Japanese families with samurai roots sometimes have their family crest (mon) crafted onto a tsuba. Tsuba can be found in a variety of metals and alloys, including iron, steel, brass, copper and shakudo.

In a duel, two participants may lock their katana together at the point of the tsuba and push, trying to gain a better position from which to strike the other down. This is known as tsubazeriai (鍔迫り合い), lit. pushing tsuba against each other. Tsubazeriai is a common sight in modern kendo.

In modern Japanese, tsubazeriai (鍔迫り合い) has also come to mean "to be in fierce competition."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:29 am »
Great catch hosman!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:45 am »
Ive been a fan of Japanese swords for twenty years, started out with militaria and then began specializing in Japanese blades.  You have an 1700's or so era tsuba, hard to tell if for a long sword (katana) or short sword (wakizashi)  either way fairly collectible, there are several schools of artists who made them and some are signed next to opening in the guard where blade slides in.  Neat item.  The hole on the side is for the hilt of the utility knife or tool to stick through when it is in its scabbard, sometimes a small knife or other tools