Author Topic: Birks Sterling Silverware  (Read 2953 times)

tryptych

• View Profile
Birks Sterling Silverware
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »
Hi folks,

Could anyone give me some information about this set of silverware? What the name of the set is, how old it is, and if there is any resale value, etc.

Each piece is marked "BIRKS STERLING". In the larger picture below, there are unique items on the top row. For the bottom row, the set contains 8 of each item; I think the set is complete. Each item is engraved with my family initial, "S" (how does that effect the value?).

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Birks Sterling Silverware
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:44:45 pm »
A Google search and a wealth of info comes up. Much of it was sold in the 60s. If you plan on selling it jump on it now because sterling silver is at an unprecedented high right now.

tryptych

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
a wealth of info comes up

Got any good links? Can anyone confirm the name of this set and when it was sold?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »
I think you may have 'Versailles'. A little hard to tell for sure from your pictures but if you compare their example you could better tell

http://www.justinteeantiques.com/catalogue/Flatware_-_By_Pattern/Birks_Flatware/Other_Birks_Patterns/02364/Birks_Versailles_Flatware_Service_for_8

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/BIRVER.htm

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:50:21 pm »
You might want to go look at Replacements LTD.  Yours looks like Birks Devonshire if it is Sterling and like Birks Chatsworth if it is silverplate.  Would have to see actual marks on back of set.

Usually monogrammed items don't sell as high as non-monogrammed; however with it being an S you MIGHT do well.  Take into consideration that the values/prices on Replacements are from a store and are lower for an individual selling without a storefront.  The condition of all pieces would have to be evaluated as well.

http://www.replacements.com/silver/BIR.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »
I buy a ton of these pieces and usually at scrap value... Not too much demand for them... But you can weigh them and have an approximate price... Try pricing double the scrap... thanks

tryptych

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »
I buy a ton of these pieces and usually at scrap value... Not too much demand for them... But you can weigh them and have an approximate price... Try pricing double the scrap... thanks

Hi, thanks that's good info. I don't have a scale here, how much does a 48 piece set weigh, ballpark? I realize its a silly question, but I just want a sense of if I'm dealing with $100s or $1000s. I think I saw a set listed at 1500 grams, is that in the ballpark? And silver is about $33/ounce?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
   For scrap Silver lots at goodwill we get a little more then $1.00 a gram, Without the weight I would say you have near $1000.00 in silver at scrap price, this is just a guess.

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:41 am »
Ironlord just out of curiosity, does goodwill pay above scrap value? I ask bc you said they will pay above a dollar for gram and sterling is  marketed at about 30 dollars a Troy ounce ....

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:47 am »
      Yes sometime we do see the price go above value, esp. with scrap gold, scrap silver seems to get about a $1.00 a gram, if I remember right there is just over 30 Grams to a Troy ounce so $1.00 would be about right one, correct me if I am missing something.   Here is a link to a Sterling silver pitcher that comes up today.  It is just over 2 pounds in weight, which should work out to around 900+ Grams, this is just above 900 right now.  Is my math wacked, or have I not he enough coffee yet..

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9426681

tryptych

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »
Hmm, I don't suppose anyone knows the best place to sell scrap sterling silver in Toronto? The sleezey "Cash For Gold" companies I've checked out are offering $0.55/gram :( Ironlord: Goodwill buys sterling silver? Or just that site that Orange County has put up? We have branches in Toronto but I never thought of them as buying stuff, just selling and taking donations.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:24 am »
   No we don't Buy but we get it donated to us and we post it one line here in seattle.  Goodwill sells online in many of the Large City location.