Author Topic: Trying to Identify Maker and Age of Vintage Table Lamp?  (Read 1652 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Trying to Identify Maker and Age of Vintage Table Lamp?
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:52:23 am »
This is a lamp I purchased at the thrift store yesterday for $15 and I've been trying to identify it. Originally I thought it might be a Stiffel lamp but can't locate one like it using "Stiffel Lamp" and other keyword searches. I think the time period for the lamp would be around Mid 1900's (40's or 50's).

The Lamp looks to be made of brass and/or bronze with marble on the base and a glass globe with bronze or brass leaves and 6 porcelain roses. It's about 27 1/2 Inches Tall from the Base to the top of the socket where the bulb screws in. The width at the base is about 7 1/2 Inches Wide and the Glass Globe is about 12 Inches Wide.

Usually I can find the Stiffel name in the mount within the lamp shade but that seems to have been replaced along with the whole top assembly which would also have had a possible name. The UL sticker which may also have had a name printed on it and may have been on the socket is not there since the socket looks like it has also been replaced.

It also looks like someone perhaps back in the 1970's replaced the plug and wiring with what I think is heavy gauge speaker wire and a screw mount plug.

What I would like to know is who made the Lamp (Manufacturer), when it was made and the approximate value if I restored it with original lamp parts (top assembly) and a new cord? Also, would a brown felt bottom be a better replacement color than a green felt bottom (it has the price still on it in black magic marker)?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="751" height="2252" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: Trying to Identify Maker and Age of Vintage Table Lamp?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
Me thinks its later than that !!  Likely late 60`s or 70`s !! Its reproduction antique brass and many were made similar to yours !!  That wiring is fine !!  Just leave it like it is unless the wire is broken !! I have seen lamps that had this type wiring !!  Some of these also have a light in the glass globe,, does yours ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:06 am »
Me thinks I had to remove felt bottom to find more info :) I found a reference number 5219 which is consistent with the Stiffel number algorithm but unfortunately Stiffel went out of business in 2000 and the reference Model Numbers they once had on their Web Site is no longer available there (their web site is gone).

Searches on the number 5219 came up empty for Stiffel and just about everything else worth while lamp related. I can find only one Glass Globe lamp in the world that looks a *little* like this one and it's a mid 1900's lamp from France So I'm not convinced *if* this was a reproduction of someones table lamp and whom that might be although it certainly is possible. I know there were reproductions of Stiffel Lamps but not to the extent of the work done on this lamp that I'm aware of.

The wiring is definitely a replacement and heavy gauge speaker wire was used and it was most likely done I think in the 1970's which is also about the vintage of the plug the wires are screwed onto I believe. I know a lot of the newer lamps or lamps within the last decade or so have been using similar wiring but none that I know of or have seen in the 60's or 70's or earlier.

This lamp does not have a light in the glass globe, it would be way to complicated to replace since you would have to take apart the whole lamp.

" width="542" height="411" border="0

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:37 pm »
That is a mid 60s lamp designed to go with French Provincial furniture. That relief decoration was used a lot back them. It was no longer used much after the 60s.