Author Topic: French Faience Marseilles 18th century  (Read 1470 times)

JamesBianco

• View Profile
French Faience Marseilles 18th century
« on: September 15, 2004, 09:08:11 am »

My father left me a Faience box when he died in 1983. He was a noted interior designer from Boston, and he had aquired it from an estate in the 1960's. I never paid attention to it until recently, having stored it away.
Inside, on a note card, my father had written down that it was Faience, and was made roughly between the years 1755-1790 in Marseilles France by a Joseph Gaspard Robert. It is an amazing piece, and is virtually flawless, not so much as a chip or discoloration. the underside is signed with an R and a small "." right above it to the left of the letter.
I have been trying to get some idea of its worth, and even made an aol web page with pictures of it. This is the box:

and to see more:
My Faience Box
Does anyone know anything about Faience? I have found much on the web about Joseph Robert and his associate the widow (Veuve) Perrin, but there arent many images online of his work, only china plates.

Thank you all :)

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 03:54:58 pm »
others may have searched, and not found your particular faience maker, and I didn't either - However - many faience sites later:

Similar but later attributed French faience pieces are very valuable - some so valuable, that I suggest you contact a well known auction house, such as Skinner, (home of the Roadshow folks), Sotheby's, etc., and follow instructions for a mail - in appraisal.  That piece is wonderful.   KB

jw

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 01:38:09 am »
I have beautiful pair of candlesticks--one w/a shephard and lamb and one with a shephardess and lamb.  They bear the hallmark (R with a . above the R).  My aunt researched the pieces years ago and left me information that the pieces were made by Joseph Gaspard Robert. She wrote "a hard paste porcelain factory was established at Marseilles by Joseph Gaspard Robert about 1776.  The factory was well known at this time.  The porcelain works ceased at the time of the French Revolution year 1793.  Favorite color of this paste is rose pink."  Email me, and I will send you a picture of my pieces.
Jeanne
jwangsness@cbnorcal.com