Author Topic: Ishikawa water color  (Read 1531 times)

eticknj

• View Profile
Ishikawa water color
« on: February 19, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »
I am in the process of liquidating a relative's estate.  I found this water color at the bottom of a box.  I have searched and searched for some information but to not much avail.  I did find a listing of a S. Ishikawa water color on an auction site (Bouchard).  The signature and style looked the same.  It was listed as proposed to be within $200-$300 AS IS.  It did not sell because it sounded like it was damaged.  I would appreciate it if someone could tell me more about the artist and if my water color has any value.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Ishikawa water color
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »
Shigehico Ishikawa might be your artist !! You can google his name and find quite a bit about him !! The one you looked at was also on liveauctioneers with a $500. to $800. estimate but didn`t sell and was passed because of extensive damage to the watercolor !! Yours looks like it needs to be reframed before selling !! Anything that needs to be done to it will severely affect the sale price !! Buyers will expect to be able to hang it as is if they buy it !!  It really needs to be in excellent condition !!

eticknj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:28 pm »
A belated thanks Mart....am finding many potential similarities at auction houses with the same name.  But they also require a fee to join so am taking my time to figure out which one will give me the best ban for my buck.

I will definitely have it reframed.  Should I use the same frame or something more decorative?

Do you think it would sell on eBay or does anyone have some other suggestions?  I love this site...kudos to all of you wh0 possess all that knowledge.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:53 am »
Since this is an oriental themed painting you need to stay away from all the really ornate frames !! A wider frame with glass and spacers to keep the glass from touching the paper at least !!  A small amount of trim is fine but remember,,a frame should accent the painting, not overpower it,, try to keep it simple !!  Try several at your frame shop and always stand back about  6 to 8 feet from the painting so you can tell what it will look like at normal viewing distance before deciding on one !!  It can look quite different at 2 feet than it does at 8 feet !!