Author Topic: Charger plate - At a dead end with touch marks (Maker Identified)  (Read 2094 times)

Maineiac

• View Profile
I have this old charger plate and am having a heck of a time making out the touchmarks. I am hoping someone might recognize throne on the right, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I've gone through my entire book of marks and searched online without much luck. "LONDON" was used in both England and America which doesn't make it any easier. I'm going to keep researching, but any information would be very much appreciated. The second photo shows some rough annotations. I pulled this from a scrap metal bin at the local dump. Perhaps it was there for a reason?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:16:09 pm by Maineiac »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Charger plate - At a dead end with touchmarks
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:31:00 pm »
I can`t read it can you tell us what it says or what the letters and symbols are if any ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »
This is a pretty good site, Pewterbank...spend some time on it and see if it can help you!
http://www.pewterbank.com/html/makers___marks.html

Quality marks (crowned rose or crowned X) were used to denote the quality of pewter. (These marks stopped in the 18th century - unless they were copied)

Another good site
http://www.pewtersociety.org/identify/pewterers-marks/

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:34:09 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Maineiac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:10:15 pm »
Hi, I agree, it certainly has seen better days. What it actually says is tough to make out. The mark on the right appears to say something like "SOBERT"...... There are two stamps that say "LONDON". I have a book full of markings but can't find any reference to "SOBERT". If that is indeed what it says, I'm wondering if it might be a family name.

Maineiac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »
I'm going to attach a few more (better quality) photos. Based on the previous replies, do you think it would be a safe bet to consider this plate 17th or 18th century?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:29 pm »
It looks like an 18th or very early 19th century plate like I have seen and had. They were utilitarian and not treated with much respect as they got old. Because they are so soft they damaged really easily. The info provided should help you identify it.

Maineiac

• View Profile
Re: Charger plate - Maker Identified
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »
I got some help on this one from a gentleman in Canada and thought I would follow up. It turns out that the plate was made by a Robert Jupe who died in 1737. Thanks for the great leads.