Author Topic: Antique hand painted dishes from England?  (Read 4646 times)

okie

• View Profile
Antique hand painted dishes from England?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »
 Hello:

Just hoping someone can help me learn about this set. It is 36 pieces,mostly saucers and cups.
 No markings except on small saucers.They are marked 2719 or 2419 in gold paint on back .
 These are very light in weight and small in comparison to what are made today.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:23:39 pm by okie »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Antique hand painted dishes from England?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:02 pm »
    Without Makers hallmarks it can be a hard task to find any info.  It does appear to have the English look, but this style was also made in japan.  It appears to be a late mid Century look, this would just be a guess, Value would not really be lots, but they are colorful and are what I call semi fancy, value would be low mid, or basically if you were to sell one cup and saucer you are looking about $10.00 a cup,  as a set you would be looking at around $60.00 to $75.00 but much harder to sell as a set.

okie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »
 Not looking to sell. I just bought them at a antique shop for my wife. Just trying to find out more about them. Thanks for your thoughts on these.The dealer said they were 1870 era but again,they were selling.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:24:42 pm by okie »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »
   Can we get a pictures of bottom, this can help date them, That style was used in the early victorian era, but the color of purple would of been a rareity for sure, The classic Scrolling style of the victorian era has been used even to this day, but maybe a look at the bottom will help to date them. 

okie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:32 am »
 They do look purple in the pictures but they are pink.

Here is a picture of the set and one saucer bottom.

The saucers are pretty deep as well.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:49:27 am by okie »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:27 am »
To me, the set looks like something you would expect to see from the Staffordshire district during the later part of the 19th century. I've always associated those deep saucers with that time period.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:18 am »
    Of course I could be wrong but looking at the bottoms I would still cast a vote for mid century and later in date.  Correct me if I am wrong you are holding a bowl up in the last picture, in the first set it appears that the saucers are low rimmed.  Anyway I am not sure how the dealer you purchased them from came up with the date of 1870's  without marks this could be a hard one.  Which In general there was much pride in those days of manufacting and esp. in the staffordshire area, and most likely would of been marked, Unmarked usually says newer, cause they used Foil or paper labels, and sometimes neither if they were boxed together in a set, and the box was marked with the maker and country, all this would point to Mid century and later, but again without a mark to go on we would have to search 1000's of images top try and find the pattern and maker and then we could get a date.

okie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:41 am »
 It very well could be a bowl? In the group picture there are a stack of saucers on the left(flatter) and then bowls or deep saucers on the right.

What you are calling a bowl is what is marked on the back with the numbers. My apology for calling it a saucer. I thought that was what it was.

Thanks for all the information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:46 am »
It appears to be a dessert set !! Did I see a berry bowl ?? Perhaps that is why they are smaller,, coffee, small bowls and smaller dishes for petit fours !!

okie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:49 am »
The bowl is quite a bit less than one inch deep. Here are saucer and bowl for comparison.
Sorry for the confusion.

Mart,berry bowls?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:01:20 am by okie »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:28 pm »
    The larger Saucer is a Bread and Butter plate.   Then it appears you have a Waste and Sugar Bowl maybe, but usually they have handles and a lid. I see the creamer  It appears to be a complete higher end set except for the Teapot it looks like.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:11:13 pm »
Berry bowls are quite like those !!  During the Victorian era they used very specific pieces !!  Certain items for whatever they wanted to do !! If they served fish,, they used a fish plate ect !! After dinner was as important as the meal itself !! Therefore they had dessert sets for after dinner coffee, small sweets, fruit ect !!   That is what it appears to be to me !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »
Depending on manufacturer or set...the slightly rimmed piece can be a salad plate or berry plate.  Most bread/butter were flat to accommodate the knife and oversized portions of bread.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

okie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »
 Thank you all for the responses.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:27 am »
When I looked for this set I could not match the pattern but you might check Aynsley China !!  They did a lot in that color !! Most are not marked so numbers do not help !!  That could be just the pattern number helpful to the maker only !!