Author Topic: A Paragon bone china plate and saucer  (Read 1812 times)

Romaxi

• View Profile
A Paragon bone china plate and saucer
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:34:57 am »
I came across this unusual Paragon plate and saucer.

I have been poring over hundreds of images and haven't been able to find a match for this pattern. The other peculiar thing about it is the mark on the bottom isn't a perfect match for any of the backstamps. Here they have a collection of backstamps and none of them match this one perfectly.

http://www.btinternet.com/~paragoncollector/backstamps/backstamps.html

I already combed through all of replacement.com, though it is possible I missed something.

This mystery has puzzled me for the last few months and any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:24:02 am by Romaxi »

mart

• View Profile
Re: A Paragon bone china plate and saucer
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:13 pm »
Did you read the first few paragraphs in the second link ??  That tells what the problem is !!

Romaxi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:13:46 pm »
Did you read the first few paragraphs in the second link ??  That tells what the problem is !!

Are you talking about this part?

Collectors of Paragon will soon come across marks not included in previously published lists and many mistakes arise because of unrecorded subtle changes in the star mark between c1915 and c1933. Further, the evidence suggests that Paragon were not too strict in their use of backstamps and some were used long after they had been superseded. This can give rise to each piece in a trio having a different backstamp, though, presumably, breakage replacement apart, they were all produced at the same time.

The subtle changes mentioned only occurred in the pieces marked with stars. This piece does not have a star backstamp.

If there is something else I missed let me know.

Thanks for looking.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:07 pm »
Since there were many marks but only one registered, they could use pretty much whatever suited them at the time !!  There are no telling how many variations you may find !! All are not accounted for to date,, new ones can certainly show up !! I cannot see your backstamp !!  Can you post it to this site ??  Its always possible that the additional letters  K  IC/K were an addition independently added !!  Can`t tell without seeing it !!

Romaxi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 01:36:32 am »
Since there were many marks but only one registered, they could use pretty much whatever suited them at the time !!  There are no telling how many variations you may find !! All are not accounted for to date,, new ones can certainly show up !! I cannot see your backstamp !!  Can you post it to this site ??  Its always possible that the additional letters  K  IC/K were an addition independently added !!  Can`t tell without seeing it !!

The backstamps are in the album. The second picture is the stamp on the saucer and the fourth is the stamp on the cup. Just click on the little icons above the picture.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:38:29 am by Romaxi »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:30 am »
Paragon were not too strict in their use of backstamps  all backstamps   As far as the additional letters  K  IC/K  and the small line (,) in gold I believe these are painters marks Various dots & squiggles were used to identify  the person who painted pieces. These marks were used to calculate the wages of individuals who were paid on a piece meal basis ( not all workers used this method of calculating wages). Letters were often used to tell the cup shape. you would need to find a very detailed reference book on the history of Paragon to be sure.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:42 am »
That image site freezes my computer !! It is not friendly to us on dial up !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »
Beautiful piece.  I understand about the "mystery" and how you would like to solve it.  However, like others said there were some in-discrepancies due to the actual company's makeup.

Either way, it will not make a huge monetary difference in your pieces, unfortunately.

Enjoy your piece for what it is...a beautiful piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Romaxi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:00 pm »
Thank you all very much for your help and advice.