Author Topic: Chinese Porcelain?  (Read 2432 times)

matty77

• View Profile
Chinese Porcelain?
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I know I usually post about furniture, but my wife bought this piece at an estate sale today.  We have looked EVERYWHERE online and cannot find a similar design.  Can anyone provide any information or suggestions on where to look?  Thank you in advance!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Porcelain?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »
Interesting piece! Was there a description on it? The signs of age inside it look very good, and so does the wear pm the bottom, but what concerns me is the brown color on the lip looks almost painted on, maybe it is just the picture? The red also looks very, very bright when compared to the signs of age on the rest of it, I would not expect it to be so bright, but more muted due to age. Was a date given at sale and did they state the purpose of the jar? That also concerns me a bit since I have never seen a jar like this. (doesn't mean that they aren't out there, LOL!)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »
I have similar feeling about this items use !! Its a nesting set  and appears to be transferware but like Tales said,, its very bright !!  Almost laquer shiny !!  Could have held nuts and mints I guess if its big enough !!  But that is a lot of wear to be on the inside !!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:11 pm »
Hello! I'm Matty77's wife, thank you for your reply. You are correct the inside does look like it was painted brown around the edges (to make it appear older?) Now the red does look a little brighter in the picture than in person. I've tried dating it from the mark on the bottom, but unless I learn to read Chinese that's going to be impossible seeing all the different markings on the websites. Here's my guess, somewhere around mid century?

Unfortunately, the estate sale didn't have any info. on it at all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:39:14 pm by krickard »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:41:08 pm »
Krickard how large is this piece?? My first thought was that it would be used to hold & serve xiaolongbao  (little bun filled with broth and steamed) on a special occasion.

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:34 pm »
It's a little over 6 in in diameter and 4 in tall.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:08:38 pm »
Believe your piece is from Qing reign  (if authentic)  Qing Dynasty,  Ch'ien Lung QianLong    second down on right

http://www.chinese-porcelain-art.com/Chinese-Reign-Marks-Ming-Qing.html

and

http://www.gotheborg.com

On left click marks
on left click later Chinese
On left scroll down and click QING DYNASTY
On right scroll sown to Qianlong 1736-95 and you will find your mark
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:00:51 pm by wendy177 »

matty77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:10:21 am »
Thanks Wendy177.  I agree that is the mark, but we came to the conclusion that it couldn't possibly be that old.  Rather, it was painted to look like it.  I hope we were right - we just sold it for $20!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:23:56 am »
There were many pieces that were done the same as the old pieces but are still repro`s !! Not sure that they intended to fool people but they do !! My feeling is that the items were a tribute of sorts to all the ancestors but modern paints usually tell that they were not done during that period !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:57 am »
http://www.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.html  Not sure if this is the same as the site Wendy posted but has much info as well as some information on repro`s and fakes as well as the real stuff !! Its worth reading !!