Author Topic: Antique Dresser  (Read 4227 times)

krickard

• View Profile
Antique Dresser
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
Hello everyone, we bought this at auction today. It's so beautiful in person. We don't have the mirror on it yet so I'm just using the pic from the auction sight.
Based on the hardware and construction methods, we estimate it to be made early 20th century.
We're not sure about the style but it appears French to us. It is a VERY heavy piece, with beautiful solid brass pulls and a tilting mirror.
Does anyone know if there is a name for this type of dresser, or what it's style might be? We want to research it more and assign a value.

Thank you!!!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Dresser
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
Really can`t tell much from this pic other than just its appearance !! It does look like a nice piece !! Need close up pics on hardware and the dresser without all the stuff on it !! Front and back if possible and pics of dovetails on one of the drawers !!   The door on the top I assume is for hats !! Can you wait till you bring it home so we can get a better look at  it ??

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:00:07 pm »
Thank you Mart!  I'll be happy to send more pics in the morning (it's in the garage right now and there is not good light out there).

Based on the machined slotted screws, machine-routed dovetails on the front of the drawers and wooden pins in the back (not a Knapp Joint - just pinned), we are fairly certain it is an early 20th century piece.  If it exists, we are just really in need of the name of this particular type of dresser (tilting mirror on one side, with upright drawers on the other, low vanity-type top), so that we can find comparisons.  We have been looking on Google Images and can find practically nothing.  I am very excited to find-out more!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:34 am »
Here are more pics!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:40:57 am »
And more!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:29 am »
If it is a French piece as you think, no telling what it may have been called !! Its an odd combination having a dresser with some attributes of a wardrobe !!  That is why I asked about the door on top !! Wardrobes of that period frequently had a place for hats !! Just from what you say,, and what I can see,, I would date it to the late 30`s or early 40`s !! That is what the overall look suggests !! Will wait till you can get additional pics & look more !!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:58:56 am »
Thanks Mart for your reply. What other pics would you like to see, I'll be happy to post them. Would you feel comfortable estimating a reasonable  value of this piece? Unfortunately, we don't have the room for it!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:43 am »
Nice appearing piece!
I've always called that type of furniture a "Gentleman's Dresser". Over the years I found them in most all woods and designs, with hat boxes, drawers, drop-down desk, etc. attached to a low dresser base, with a side mirror

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/gentleman-s-dresser

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:07 am »
That's it!  Thanks Rauville!

I've already found several comparative pieces on Google by using that term.  Mart was right too about the "hat closet" on top.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »
Excellent Rauville !! I have had company this weekend And had little time !! Everytime I sat down at the computer had to get up and do something !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:29 am »
You guys got this before I saw the post. It was a Grand Rapids style that was popular around the turn of the century. We used to call them low boys which was local term and also a misnomer. Very often they would turn up as just the bottom and that is where the name came from.

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 09:46:41 am »
Thanks all for your help. Looking online I've seen these for sale anywhere from $300-$800. Being more realistic I thought I would price it at $300. I would love to make more, obviously. Does this sound about right?