Author Topic: colorful chinese bowl  (Read 2731 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
colorful chinese bowl
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:07 am »
Bought this at an estate sale a while back, and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it as I know little to nothing about pottery or chinese art like this. Top picture is the inside of the bowl, and the rest are different views of the mark on the bottom. Bowl is about 2" deep, has that gold plating around the rim/lip. Outside of the bowl has a similar picture to the inside, with the dragon and phoenix. Thanks!   

KevinB

• View Profile
Re: colorful chinese bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:52 am »
It looks like a cloisonne bowl. I gave up trying to read chinese for lent.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
Nice little item .... looks like cloisonne , or am I mistaken ?

gotheborg.com has wonderful sections dedicated to 'makers marks' , if you're interested in researching a bit for on like yours , pantrwrstl .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:00 am »
Thanks for the quick response, I've never heard of cloisonne before, but now that I look I believe you're right. I thought it was a much newer item but now that I see this technique has been around for quite some time I'm excited to see what I can turn up. Thanks for the advice!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »
If you have marked cloisonne it's maybe a expensive piece that you have . http://idcloisonne.com/id28.html  is where there's some marked pieces to look at . But could be a older piece whit a mark like that . Christies sell's them for high prices .

Greetings Ger

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »
I sold a whole collection of cloisonne for someone on ebay years ago. There are Japanese and Chinese pieces. Your is Chinese judging from the mark and the classical dragon and phoenix motif. Some Chinese pieces I sold for him in that size brought 50.00 to 60.00 and a couple considerably more but I never knew why. The experts must go by enamel tones design and marks. I did not have an extra lifetime to learn all of that. The client told me how to describe each piece.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »
I didn't know what cloisonne was until I came to the forum. Then I ended up with a pair of vases in a box I bought.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »
To get a better picture of the mark...take it with the flash off and in natural light!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »

side of bowl

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:55 pm »
   I have sold lots of Cloisonne on Ebay the past year, and have just brought home another 30 pieces today.  You bowl is pretty cool one that would easily get $50.00 + on line, just the unique look and the Phonix and dragon motif will add value.  The bottom of your looks much different then the Common Mid Century Cloisonne I get my hands on.  Most of the Mid-century and later pieces are Blue enamelled and usually not marked. Yours has a unique granite look that I have not seen either.  To Top this off your stamp appears to be Raised, another unique factor.  Right now Cloisonne is hot items, mid century one like mine will easy fetch $10 to $20 and these are that are really not special or Unique.  Anyway with all this Blah, Blah first find someone who can read the characters, and this will be a jump forward.  Rest Assured yours appears to be rather Unique to me and would be for sure worthy of finding out more.

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »
thanks, I spoke with a professor I had last semester today who has a general background in Chinese writing, and while he could't make out what it said, he says he has a friend that specializes in older Chinese writing, so I emailed him the pictures and he will get back to me shortly hopefully with a translation. I couldn't really find any close markings on gotheberg or idcloisonne, but found similar bowl designs (thought I couldn't really find any 5 toed blue dragons) that date anywhere from the 30's on up. If it helps at all with the marking on the bottom, it is raised, in fact I'm reasonably certain it is a hand cut piece of square metal (copper,brass?) about 2x2cm with the lettering stamped/pressed into it to give it the raised look, and then sealed onto the bottom under the glaze, or possibly even pushed right into the bottom of it before it was fully hardened as the edges on it blend seamlessly with the bowl on some sides and are slightly raised compared to the bow on others. You can also see what looks like a slight mis-cut on the bottom border, below the sideways 'H' looking character. I'm also assuming it is not machine made as it has several slight imperfections that look like they occurred during the making process, ie. the bottom, 'granite' part is very slightly wavy and not completely flat or smooth, and under the rim you can almost make out finger marks as they molded the bowl into its shape. Other than that I look forward to further comments as I continue on in my investigation! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:05:28 pm by pantrwrstl »