Author Topic: unknown burleigh vase  (Read 2729 times)

doraggie

• View Profile
unknown burleigh vase
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »
Hi
Anyone know what this is called cant find it anywhere on the net it has a globe burgess and leigh (burleigh) mark at the bottom

thanks

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: unknown burleigh vase
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »
Please post a photo of the mark. English marks are cataloged and someone here could probably date that within a couple years. If you search the name on Google images so many items come up its mind boggling. Because it seems to have a little Art Nouveau shape to it I am going to guess around 1908 to 1920
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:06:34 pm by frogpatch »

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »
i dont know if this is any help

thank you

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »
Produced by Burgess & Leigh  Burslem, Staffordshire, England. type of ceramics - earthenware  your mark was used from 1906 - 1912 The factory was started in 1862 and your piece would be called a Jug.    A quick search on line and I found a jug the same shape as your piece but diffrent pattern so it would be a matter of probably many hours of searching on line to maybe find the same one as yours.   good luck :)

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:34:46 pm »
Yeah I can't find anything either been trawling and nothing do you have any idea on the value of it as I can't find the pattern

Thank you

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »
I knew that someone would nail that down with the mark.  Nice job, Wendy.  I have the book on British Pottery Marks packed away somewhere. I am going to have to look for it. I am glad my guess was not to far off either.

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:49 am »
Still can't find anything that looks like it can't even find the same pattern I'm stumped

Thanks for your help

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:57 am »
Thank you for your help do you know where I old possible get info about the pattern

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:16 am »
doraggie, it's a pain in the a$$ but here is a list on Replacements.com... ......you could run through that (one by one  :P) to see if yours might be included here.

http://www.replacements.com/china/BUL.htm

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
thank you for the link - no luck im begining to think its not real lol cant believe i cant find it

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 04:57:58 am »
I personally would not worry about finding an exact match but if I were looking for one,, ebay is the first place to look !! Your piece is probably real as far as not a fake or repro !!   But to find an exact match you need to know the pattern name and searching replacements.com will help !! Because you can not find it does not mean it is rare and an unknown piece !! I can guarrantee that if something is rare and valuable,, with a few exceptions,, it will be pretty easy to track down in todays internet age !!

doraggie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
Well I have scouted eBay any replacements.com and I cannot find it so back to the drawing board I think