Author Topic: Weller Jardiniere  (Read 4459 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Weller Jardiniere
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:03 am »
This was collecting dust on top of a cedar wardrobe. It cleaned up nicely and I noticed the mark "WELLER" stamped on the bottom. I borrowed Warman's book on Weller Pottery from the library (2007 edition), but couldn't find this pattern. Any help would be much appreciated in the way of pattern ID, age and value. Thanks in advance.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Weller Jardiniere
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:59:11 am »
You definatley have a Weller piece, Beautiful  Have searched and not found pattern ID or dating  for your piece. I did find one on ebay but they had no info. I would place a higher value than the one on ebay due to the fact yours is marked, but value could be MUCH higher will keep an eye out for your Jardiniere.  :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-Pottery-Majolica-Blended-Glaze-Floral-Art-Nouveau-Design-Jardiniere-MINT-/390393089039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae53dcc0f

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
Thanks for trying to find out. It's a daunting task to try to identify all the EAPG glass patterns and china & pottery marks from my mother's estate - she literally has hundreds of pieces. I guess there's so much that they can't all possibly be contained in antique guides.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:46:49 am »
For that much stuff, You really need to get a notebook and as you research each piece, write down the description, value and assign a number to each one with a corresponding number on the item with a stick on label, not tape !!  This will help for insurance purposes as well as remembering what each is !! Sometimes it can get confusing after looking up so many pieces !! Then you can look at the number on the labeled item and will have all the info on it in the notebook !!  And should you sell any of the items,, you will know pretty well what each is worth give or take a few bucks !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:00:34 am »
You wouldn't believe the stuff in my mom's house. I took photos of what I felt was the better quality items and put them on a Web site (after spending quite a bit on lithium batteries for my camera). Here's the URL for it:

http://estatesaler.angelfire.com/

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:51:52 pm »
I finally got around to looking through my old Weller books concerning your jardiniere. I don't believe there was ever a formal design name assigned other than "Colored Glaze" to a group of varied patterns of pedestals and jardiniere sets. I can tell you that yours with the die-stamp mark is prior to 1925.

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »
Thanks for that tidbit of info. At least I know it's around 90 years old.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »
Its nice the way you have it done but those pics are so big and the file is so large it would take me forever to download and see it all !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:23:15 pm »
Imagine how long it too to do it all!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »
I can imagine it took a while !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »
Recommend that you make a photo of each item and place a number next to it.  Then research item and record under that number until you load the pic in the computer and unite the research and pic (this is if you have a whole lot if pieces).  Otherwise...it will get to where the descriptions can fit alot of the items as you go along!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:25 am »
Good advice. Thanks! Here are some photos of the things just in the cellar. It was like finding Tut's tomb.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:24:14 am by debodun »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 06:41:34 am »
 :o  OMG!!  It's a veritable treasure trove!  I certainly don't envy you your task.......but oh, how many of us would love to be set loose in that glass menagerie for an hour or two (or three). 

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:55 am »
I started inventorying with what I thought was Depression glass. Ther are dozens of patterns of that but not so many as the EAPG! And the china - some of the marks I can't even read. Many are in Asian characters (see attachment).

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:57:58 am »
I just found a forum yesturday dedicated to helping people with asian art pieces and inscriptions. They should be able to atleast translate for you.

http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php