Author Topic: some clues for distinguishing betwee vintage& antique silverplate candllesticks  (Read 1111 times)

Georg

• View Profile
Hello

Are there some clues helping to distinghish between a silverplate around 60 y/o candlestick and a 19th one?(When no marks are present)  Weighted bases covered with green felt are a sign of antique or vintage? Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
    When I see no marking my first assumption is Vintage.  Most silver and silverplate maker pre-40's prettuy much always mark their items, post 40's and newer foil  or paper label was used, which after a few washing or just peeling of the label, they are long gone.  Of course this is not always the case.  Felt usually doesn't say much This could of been added later.  If you have not looked under the felt yet there just may be a mark under the felt.  I did not you say it is weighted, I see very few silverplated weighted candlesticks, usually weighted one was made of Sterling.  Style can sometimes give a clue or two to age, but one has to keep in mind many old victorian style items was remade esp. after the 40's and into the 60's.  I know this may not help much but these are just my thought. 

Georg

• View Profile
thanks for answer. Could help if I send a picture? Regards.