Author Topic: console table  (Read 9217 times)

dr612

• View Profile
Re: console table
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »
I guess a spanner would be a wrench over here.  :)  Didn't mean to cause a ruckus, but everything about the style of the table looks French to me.  The closeups of the carving show the identical ebonized punched background that the canape that I put up has.  I am very interested in hearing other opinions on this because it may help to date both this piece and the piece that I am comparing it to. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
I also debated on the French element !! And to be clear for our new member,, it could be either !!  Had it had a foot more commonly used with the Louis XV style,, I would have gone with that one !! But with the trifid foot I decided to go with the Queen Anne style !!  And to explain for Newnut, a trifid foot is simply a foot with three lobes !! Also called drake foot !!  Certain design features are more common to one style than others but that is not to say that you will not find the same elements in other styles !!  Some are a jumble of design features !! For instance the cabriole leg in France is associated with the Louis XV style but during the same time period, in the UK it was associated with the Queen Anne style !! So much depends on where the table originated !!  We could just flip a coin !!

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 05:43:00 pm »
Well no wonder this antique game is a specialized business! There certainly is a lot to learn, and Im very grateful for the information you are giving me. im going to have to read this thread a hundred times my self to try and take it all in.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »
I agree about the trifid feet/style....however, this screams French to me for some reason!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:15:35 pm »
Thats probably because of the scrolled drawer front KC !!  Not common on English Queen Anne !!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:20:13 pm by mart »

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:38 am »
im going to take it to a place i know today an see what they say, if it were french wouldn't it be MORE ornate?? they seemed to be very extravagant compared to Queen Anne. (Forgive me for being naive, im new to this game remember!! lol)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 06:36:12 am »
Although out of my field of interest, this table i think is Victorian era, last half 19th century, probably english, could be french, 1850-1900. Generally speaking, english cabinetmakers used oak as secondary wood construction in the 18th century but i really dont know if that continued into the victorian era. Drawer construction here does not appear to be oak so i really dont know, just guessing here mostly.

The timeline for period Queen Anne furniture in America was 1730-1760, the timeline would have been earlier in England, 1702-1714 or so. One thing for sure, this table is not period QA.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:05:29 am by jacon4 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:46 am »
jacon4, I am with you on this one.  Has to be later than actual QA period.

Betting with casters..it is extremely late 1890's to early 1900's -  most likely the later

I must say...I have the same Verizon remote control here in TX!  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 09:56:00 am »
I did not mean period QA but the later versions !! Wasn`t there a resurgence in the style early to mid 1800`s ??  Trying to remember here !! The secondary wood looks like mahogany to me !! But hard to tell from pics !! I guess we are just mainly trying to define what to call this table rather than anything else !! Although to say Victorian would cover it all I guess !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:37 am »
Yeah, does look like mahogany to me too. Sure, they are STILL building QA style furniture even today, its such a classic furniture style with those cabriole legs. Period QA furniture was built out of walnut mostly, both here and in the UK.

What to call it? I would guess victorian center table or library table.

Another thing to keep in mind, in America, furniture was built by hand until the 1850s, when the circular saw was hooked up to steam power here, that was the end of the line for hand made furniture here. Not so in the UK, because of the guild system (like a union here), furniture was built by hand until the 1930s!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:22:19 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:34 am »
And would you have an idea on value for this one !! Us dollars will be OK I think he can figure the difference !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:09 am »
Value? geez, I dunno, i would guess in the american market, a european victorian table like this would go for $200-$300 dollars at auction, maybe less. That drawer front is either missing it's finish or veneer so that would certainly affect its value.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:33:16 am by jacon4 »

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:42 am »
well, thanks for all that, i've just read through all your posts, I dont think anything is missing from the draw front, thats just the way my camera reflected the light for some strange reason.  im rushing off to parents evening now, so will log on when i return.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 10:43:38 am »
Hey Newnut, no problem. I could be all wet here in my observations, i know a bit about American furniture but just enough about european furniture to get me in trouble!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:07 am »
Still well worth the $24 bucks he spent on it !!