Author Topic: console table  (Read 9214 times)

newnut

• View Profile
console table
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
Firstly, Hello there everyone. Im Ben, a 32 yr old guy in berkshire, UK.  Im new to the site and to antiques, so you'll probably see a lot of me on here. I've been looking through books and trawling the net trying to learn what I can in the hope I can find valuables hidden at car boots, charity shops and the like.  Well I've finally taken the plunge and bought my first piece that I believe to be a wise investment.  While not expecting to turn pennys to fortunes I do hope not to make a loss!   Anyway, I found this piece in a second hand shop, it seems to be hand crafted and of a period I cant seem to date. Can you help me identify it? What do you all think before I take it to a dealers? I'll let you know what I paid for it after you've had a guess! lol.
It has drop down leafs both sides, lockable draw with key. Kind regards all, Ben [/img][/img]

mart

• View Profile
Re: console table
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:58 pm »
Hi there Ben and welcome to the group !! Hope you enjoy it !!  A very unique first buy !!  To help a bit can you take a pic of the foot on one of the legs ??  Just put a piece of white paper under the foot so it will show up !! Can`t see with the floor the same color !! Also  take pics of the dovetails on the drawer and of the top if possible !! One of the back would help as well but I can live without that one if necessary !!

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »
ok, i'll do that now, thanks mart. I had a feeling more pics would be required. the doves are def hand cut. anyway, im not too clever with computers, so pics will follow in about 10 mins.

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »
ok, heres a few.... on inspection i noticed the wheels are all damaged where something too heavy has been put on it at some point. the lock is flush, i should of taken a pic of that but forgot.
the foot.
http://[/img]

the shoulder

dovetails on draw
and

the top, open

and the back, similar to the front.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:42:53 pm by newnut »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
One more thing,, above the drawer on front there appears to be an empty space between it and the top !! Is that correct or just the pic ??

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:04 am »
just a funny pic, there's no space, and the colors are more consistant than they appear in the pics.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:37 am »
The cabriole legs and trifid foot say that this is a Queen Anne style drop leaf table !! If I guessed at the approx date it would be early 1800`s from the construction !! Not sure how big this table is so it could be just an occassional or console table !!  Larger example could be breakfast table !!  Wood looks like either mahogany or walnut !! Kind of hard to tell from these pics !! Center section looks like it was made of three boards,, wider center board and smaller on front and back but then again its hard to say for sure !! They are fairly common but still can bring a fair price although they do not bring as much in the UK as they might here in the states for several reasons !!  But as a first purchase,, you did very well !!  Just a note,, dealers do not pay more than 1/3 to 1/2 of retail price so you might be better off selling to an individual rather than a dealer !!  Casters are not particularly common on these tables here in the U.S. !!
Hopefully Jacon4 who is much more experienced in these than I,, can correct me if I am wrong !!

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:09 am »
thank you very much for your reply's and your time mart. I really appreciate it. I can now start looking for its value. hopefully as you say jacon4 will be along to help out there.  As i promised to let you know, I paid 15 uk pounds for it, which i believe is around 24 us dollars.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »
You`re joking !!  $24. ???  Just google "Queen Anne drop leaf tables with trifid foot" and you can see similar examples of all sizes !! I do not think yours is a hand crafted table if you are talking about a home made piece by non professional craftsman !! It looks to be well made !! I think with the right advertising you will do well on this table if it is in good condition !! Hopefully Jacon4 will chime in on this one !! He keeps up with values more than I do on this style !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:04 pm »
WOW...for $24!!!!  What a deal.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:25:29 pm »
I would have snatched that one up in a heartbeat !! Right KC ??

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »
thanks for the help mart, i didnt mean hand crafted in that way, just hand built, ie dovetails hand cut etc. I was set on buying it before i knew the price, but as soon as she said that i paid her before someone else walked in the shop!!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:29 pm »
Please post a pic of the underside of table.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dr612

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »
I'm not sure that I see a trifid foot.  It looks more to me like Louis XV, with a carved flourish down to a brass castor.  It looks like it has an ebonized punched background for the carving which is also reminiscent of Louis XV carving.  Here are a couple of photos of a similar type of background from a Louis XV canape.

Nice table.

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »
now you've thrown a spanner in the works dr612!! (lol) I'll take a pic of the underside and also of the carvings. I also took a pic of the key, next to my thumb to give you a size idea, maybe thats a clue?, i dont know. some child has crayoned the bottom at some point.

[/img]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:32:56 pm by newnut »