Author Topic: Eastern / art nouveau ??  (Read 1183 times)

chonji

• View Profile
Eastern / art nouveau ??
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »
This one is interesting, a lovely signature but it is so stylised that is hard to garner a name from it! The motif on the vase is for me art nouveau, but I do not think the vase is as old as that, or it is in very good condition if that is the case, The signature is also styled after art nouveau in my opinion, it looks like an ironwork railing by gaudi or something!

Can anybody get a name from the jumble? i literally cannot say which way around it should go, I can see things from various orientations but have left it as is so as not to influence any ideas! Rotate to taste!

Then again perhaps somebody actually recognises it?

here is the vase, it is about 4 inches high, a nice blue and white with the white itself having a faint blueing. The painting and stokes are very elegant, i love it.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Eastern / art nouveau ??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »
An independent artist for sure but as to who ???  I have no clue !! Signature looks like it was written, flipped and written over again !! Cant make heads or tails of the signature !!  Sorry !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:00 pm »
Looks a lot like Arabic to me. I copied and sent it along to a Lebanese friend who is also studying languages. Will let you know if that gets any results.

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:52 am »
hey thanks, I got info that says it is 'cursive' japanese or chinese characters, like when we use joined up handwriting, a translation has been offered using the words Masaaki Takashi constant kiln - which would be apt i suppose. It had to be rotated through 90 anticlockwise to read like that. Am interested to see what the image is, its very nicely painted, very arty, looks like a heron?