Author Topic: Need help identifying the style/era of this Buffet.  (Read 2650 times)

outridin

• View Profile
Need help identifying the style/era of this Buffet.
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:14 pm »
This is my inspiration dining room.  So far I've acquired a table and 6 Windsor style chairs, but have had no luck finding a buffet (dresser?) like this.  I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE the yellow, natural color against the brownish-gray and the orange accents, so the color is very important.  If I had an idea of the style of this buffet, I might have better luck finding something similar. I hope the picture uploads.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Need help identifying the style/era of this Buffet.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:28:47 am »
I can only see a small picture of the room and a buffet. I tried to zoom in on it but there are not enough pixels and it is too fuzzy. It looks like a Sheraton style piece that is painted but I am not certain because it is so small. Can you post a picture of just the piece?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:11 am »
Which are you trying to match ??? And with what color ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Hi!  Did you find this pic on line and where is site?

It could be a light wood or could be blonde furniture!  Blonde furniture was VERY in-style in the 1950's.

Too hard to tell from your pic.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »
I thought about that KC !!  The thing is if it is from that era likely only the mfr would know the style because most had their own lines named and not all went along with current trends !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:21:30 pm »
Totally agree Mart.  Too hard to tell anything from this pic!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

outridin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
Hey, thanks everyone for at least looking!  Here is the webpage I got the picture from.  It is from the Martha Stewart Website for painting projects.

http://www.marthastewart.com/275732/sophisticated-neutrals/@center/276988/painting-ideas-and-projects#/164891

Hopefully you can click this link and get to it.

thanks again,  Kelly

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
It looks like one of those made to look like an old country piece. It has mid 19th century legs like a transitional chest between the Empire and Victorian periods. Even the drawer fronts have that look. Almost like it was stripped asnd refinished from that era but new of course. In Country Living Magazine they have a section called "Country Classics You Can Buy." There is a store in NJ that sells a lot of this type of furniture along old stripped pieces from Europe. The name escapes me right now. Even Ethan Allen probably made some of this style.
Look at the style of this linked dresser. It is dark but has similar lines and feet. They call it Victorian which transitional is.

http://www.saugertiesfurniture.com/Item_Saugerties_Furniture_Mart_962444957~980-166.aspx

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »

outridin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:39 pm »
Thanks, Frogpatch, 
That was my other question, whether this piece is a buffet or a dresser to begin with.  When I first saw the picture, I thought I'd seen this type of thing a million times and now, nothing!  LOL!  Thank you for the links.  Everything helps..

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:00:35 am »
It could be a sideboard...just a newer one.  If you look at the length of it (at least 2 chair widths wide).  A dresser will work just the same.  That is the fun of furniture....you can make it work as long as you get the style you want!!!  Mix n match!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:35 am »
What ever they want to call it,,sideboard or dresser I would just look for similar lines !!  Some of the 50`s blonde furniture would work great !! You can actually buy those legs and put them on if you want to !!  I have had to replace a few legs on older furniture !! So if you found a piece that has the look you want but no legs you can add them,, which gives the piece a more country look !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »
Done the same myself Mart with the legs!!!  Just to get the look I want if I can't find what I want.