Author Topic: any arms experts around???  (Read 2856 times)

newnut

• View Profile
any arms experts around???
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:38:33 am »
Ok, i'm on to my second piece now, I have acquired a sword. I believe it to be from around 1815, napoleon era, maybe battle of waterloo etc.  its a cavalry sword I believe with a few markings of use. I know these things are replicated but I believe this to be authentic. 
It has a couple of markings, T Craven written on the top edge (which is the maker). Ive tried my best to take a clear pic of this which is extremely difficult with my mediocre camera, it also has what appears to be a crown maybe with the number 4 below it. Any more info anyone can tell me about it, or if I'm wrong in my thinking I'd be delighted to hear from you. unfortunately it comes without the scabbard, which I know effects the value somewhat.

jondar

• View Profile
Re: any arms experts around???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:01:18 am »
New - I'm more familiar with firearms than cutlery but from your pictures I'm almost positive that your sword is not a replica.  It shows surface wear and surface rust (to be expected) and the fact that there is no scabbard with it.  It closely resembles the old cavalry sabers I have seen at gun shows.  I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:42:23 am »
You are real close in your opinion as far dating the sword. From what I've found, Thomas Craven operated at 96 Moor St. in Birmingham between 1800 and 1803, and at Moland St. in Birmingham between 1818 and 1820. Between those time periods there were a series of partnerships.

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:36:49 am »
thanks for your input guys. this is going to be a personal item I will not be selling, however, anyone know its value? approx??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »
Some sites you may want to peruse....
Conversation about TCravens swords http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?2916-T-Craven
Swords Database (not free) http://www.oldswords.com/register.php
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:00:36 pm »
Here's one I found, closely resembles yours.  It is a British Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry saber.  It would have been used for years past that date, maybe 10-20 so it could, like you say, have been used at Waterloo.  If that blade could only talk!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:10:09 pm by jondar »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:13 pm »
I'd agree that it sure looks like the pattern 1796 light Calvary saber ; the identical pattern was used in the U.S. Dragoon pattern for the war of 1812 - the only variant was the scabbard , which was 'blackened' .

Often were used with a 'belt' .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
They were called very brutal weapons.  In one war, maybe the Peninsular
War the French lodged a complaint with the Brits, saying that wounds from this saber were so "brutal" as to be "inhumane"  My thoughts are that a wound from any sword is inhumane.

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:05:54 pm »
inhumane?? what a strange thing to say! thanks for your input guys, and  links to the sites KC and jondar. I'll look into it and find out what i can, I'll post my findings on here for those who may be interested.

newnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:27:51 am »
thanks for your input guys, with your help I have discovered in perfect condition with scabbard my sword would collect £1200, thats approx $1900 usd. In the state its in would be considerably less, but still a great piece and one I wont be parting with.  Does anyone know if these things can actually be restored at all? I obviously wouldn't be trying that my self!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
New,
In my opinion, cutlery, like firearms, should be left in the present condition.  Efforts to try to improve them may lead to loss of value. For instance there is a Pattern 1796 on Ebay at this time, asking $500, and no bids yet.  The problem is that Bubba has been trying to improve it.  The blade has been polished, and the original clipped point has been rounded off.  Though it looks fine, I would rather have yours in the original condition it is in.  There's not much really that you can do to restore it.  If there are any sword collectors on the forum they may have some suggestions.  Finding an original scabbard may be one option, but I think the chances of finding one would be very slim indeed. You could buy the one on Ebay for the asking price and that would give you a scabbard but.........
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:47:58 am by jondar »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:29:34 pm »
Agree Jondar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!