Author Topic: Somebody help me on a bronze sign SERANHIN and Susse Freres  (Read 4143 times)

micaela

• View Profile
Somebody help me on a bronze sign SERANHIN and Susse Freres
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:18 pm »
Hello, I Have this bronze figure of a woman sustaining in their hands a tray. I don't know or have information of theirmaker SERANHIN. I know the foundry Susse Freres, Paris. I thanks any type of information on their maker.

Kind Regards

Micaela

mart

• View Profile
Re: Somebody help me on a bronze sign SERANHIN and Susse Freres
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:11 pm »
In looking at this piece I believe what you have is a reproduction !! It appears that the color has worn off in places !! Bronze does not wear off !! The original was likely done at this foundry and Seraphin was the title, not the artist name !! There were only two artists with that first name,, only one was a bronze artist  Seraphin Soubinine but he signed his bronzes S Soubinine. And this was not typical of his work !! The other was a painter !!  Unless there is a signature that you have missed,, I think this is a reproduction and was coated to look like bronze  !!

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
Hi mart, I know you tel of the color. But I take the photos with flash and this not good for the pictures. I see the same but I think the item is original but somebody make the wear off try to clean.
Thanks,
micaela

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:45:06 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »
Found the same figure on ebay, listing is ended due to item no longer available (sold??)  Does your figurine have the same 'stamp" on the back.  I know nothing about bronze and the effects of time/lack of care on the finish......so no help there, sorry!

http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=150737348587&nma=true&rt=nc&si=wz9djGqQx7Rs4WujzXw3f%252F2fhTQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Also found this item......not the same artist but signed with the same foundry (?) name.  No. 5 on the list, enlargements of signatures and stamp included (click on link, then thumbnails)

http://www.aguttes.com/vo/catalogue.aspx?IDVente=30112009

Added.........I see KC got there ahead of me on the ebay link  ;)

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
Hi, not that item is not mine. And the item like very diferent.
Thanks for the info.
Kind Regards
Micaela

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:37:56 pm »
They appear almost identical to me. ::)
I was using the ebay listing for a reference trying to determine if yours might possibly be of the same age and maker..............

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:41:10 pm »
yes is the same item. But the list not it is mine. Is other idem item.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
I realize the other one is not yours, but if yours in genuine (not a reproduction) it does give you a bit of information to go on........probable date of manufacture and 'if' it was actually sold, not just unlisted, then too an idea of value.

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
I am new in this site, Im a dealer of antiques and sold in ebay. And when I dont know something I search in the internet. this is a great forum. but I like know some about the rules. I dont possible tell I sell the item s in this forum?
regards
micaela

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:23 pm »
There are others here who sell as well so obviously no problem. But advertising or promoting sales is not part of the forum. We are all here to try and help with information or advice and appreciate anyone else who can offer their own insight or expertise as well.

It's wonderful when members invest time to look for information themselves first and whatever questions they still have many here will jump in to offer their knowledge or the results of their own searches.Many here (such as myself) arrived at this forum searching for answers and have begun the learning journey. At the same time we also try to assist others in finding answers to their questions.

Feel free to ask for help or information and if you can offer answers to others that's a bonus...........and the basis of this great forum.

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »
Thank you for their words. I am really an enthusiast for the antiques. I am 34 years old and I was born in a family that already taenia business of antiques. It is something that I love. Every day I learn something new and I becomes trained something new to other peoples. Of course that the idea of this forum is brilliant. And I will participate actively as much as asking. as well as helping with my knowledge when I can another user.

Kind Regards
Micaela

Pd; my english not excelent but I try to understand and I hope they understand me

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
I hate to disagree with Micaela but if you look at the pic that Sapphire posted and at Micaela`s the first pic, rt arm, Left side as we look at it,, there are three little dark dots on the upper arm !!~  They are also on the one Sapphire posted !! So if these two are not the same,, it would be unlikely to have the same dots on two unrelated statues !!
You did say,, that the one Sapphire posted was not yours,,did you not ??  Did you purchase this on ebay ??  I just need some clarification here !!  And are the places on your statue that you say are the result of cleaning,, a lighter silver color or is it a lighter color than the original ?  Bronze is a mixture of copper and tin mainly, and is a combined liquid when poured at the foundry, there should not be a mixture of colors unless it was coated after pouring and that was done to keep a few things the same exact color wth a clear coating !! Bronze will sometimes darken with age and that is not a bad thing !! It should not be two totally different colors !!  If Micaela can help here it will be easier since it is difficult to tell much from pics !!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:31:15 am by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »
I don't believe that the one on EBAY is the same.  The finish is smooth/non-mottled.  Think Sapphire reposted the pics of the one being questioned.

If you go to the Ebay link the piece there is in pristine condition.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
Yes I saw that KC !!  That is why I asked for clarification !! The one you are talking about is the way bronze should look !! She did say  when Sapphire asked that it was not hers but was the same item so I assumed that it was possibly the one she purchased !!  Have to see when Sapphire is on if she reposted Micaelas pics and she may have and I read it wrong !! If not,,,,????  There is just something wrong with the finish on hers !!