Author Topic: help with the age of a couple of lamps  (Read 1486 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
help with the age of a couple of lamps
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »
1st one is probably more popular and seen before,

2nd one is a little weirder, it's a log lamp? with 3 small holders that held a green putty-like material, I am guessing was to hold little fake plants and such. The only mark on it is a M-60 I found on the bottom after I pulled back the fabric. The piece looks almost brand new and I would have never suspected it to be very old, except for the plug and light socket, which looks a lot older than anything I have seen on a lamp before. Any thoughts?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: help with the age of a couple of lamps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:47 am »
search Google "images" for .... George and Martha Washington lamps

the log lamp planter is 60's or later

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:23 pm »
The log lamp is most likely a tv lamp...seen many versions of this type of lamp in the 50's...and the manufacturers of these were so many it would be hard to say if it wasn't on it.
For example, here is a list of tv lamp manufacturers
http://www.tvlamps.net/manufacturers.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:46 am »
KC is right on with the TV lamp. They were from the 50s and 60s. The table lamp is typical of porcelain that was made mid century by companies like Knowles, Taylor, Knowles and many others. There is a great deal of dinnerware from the tyhities and forties with these Neo-Classical designs. They were often American Colonial or French Scenes. These style lamps turn up in thrift shops all the time in the NY Metro area as they are often leftovers from estates.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:17 pm »
The table lamp may only bring a few dollars because it has some condition issues !!  But those TV lamps from 50`s and 60`s are pretty hot collectables right now !! Animals usually sell best but I would check on ebay and see what they are selling for !! Not asking price,, but ending sale price !! Just change your "sort by" to "ending soonest" to see actual ending prices !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
I agree Mart, I sold several of them on Ebay a few years ago with no problem. The panther lamp seemed to be a common one. This one is unusual and should do well. I won't guess because it has been a few years for me.