Author Topic: help me on a art deco bronze sculpture of Diana the Huntress Sign  (Read 1405 times)

micaela

• View Profile
Hello, I Have this art deco bronze sculpture of Diana the Huntress Sign. I don't know or have information of theirmaker I dont see well the signature. I thanks any type of information on their maker. And is possible estimative value

Kind Regards

Micaela

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: help me on a art deco bronze sculpture of Diana the Huntress Sign
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:07:49 pm »
If this is the same Gual, then here is what appears to me to be one of a similar piece with different base, along with a bit of bio.........

http://www.sheryls-artdeco.com/sculptors.html

Gual, Jaume Sabartes,
born Barcelona, 10 June 1881, died Paris, 13 February 1968).

Spanish Catalan sculptor, poet, journalist and collector. He was a cousin of the painter Joan Miro. Sabartes studied sculpture at the Escuela de Bellas Artes in Barcelona. Although he exhibited at the Sala Pares, Barcelona (1901), he concentrated on writing modernista poetry, though with little critical success, while frequenting intellectual gatherings at the Quatre Gats. Through the sculptor Mateo Fernandez de Soto (b 1884) he met Picasso in 1899 and was deeply impressed, despite being the target of his ridicule. In 1901-2, like Picasso, he lived in poverty in Paris. In 1904 he turned to journalism, moving to Buenos Aires before settling in Guatemala City by 1906. He introduced local artists to contemporary European developments through gatherings at his studio, most significantly encouraging Carlos Valenti (d 1912) and Carlos Merida to move to Paris in 1912. For 30 years he maintained a correspondence with Picasso, and on returning to Europe in 1935 he was invited to become Picasso's business secretary when the latter briefly abandoned painting in favour of automatic writing. He managed in occupied Paris however, to have Picasso's sculptures cast in bronze despite the military appropriation of metal. On Sabartes's death, Picasso donated his Las Meninas series (1957) to the Museu Picasso in Barcelona in his memory.
It is known that Gual worked in the studio of Henry-Paul Rey, producing bronzes, and Gual's association with Rey greatly benefitted Rey's success as an artist.

For sale in a UK antique shop for 650 Euros ??  (which would be $851 US)

http://www.anticstore.co.uk/4347P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:34:39 pm by sapphire »