Author Topic: Need help with Louis XIV furniture set  (Read 1821 times)

Aardvark!

Need help with Louis XIV furniture set
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »
Hello- my in-laws have purchased a historic home in my area and will be moving in about a year.  They want to furnish it with antiques, and given that they currently live about 5,000 miles away, I offered to help them.  They got a line on a matching dresser\chest of drawers set with original keys that is represented as genuine Louis XIV dating to the 1770's.  The items are part of an estate, and the gentleman selling them seems to be a very "stand up" guy.  I have no reason to doubt him, but I'm completely ignorant on the subject ("they look old" is the extent of my expertise).  Before I go to the trouble and expense of an appraisal, I'm hoping someone can tell me if they clearly are reproductions or if there's anything about them that would call their authenticity into question.  I'm also hoping for a little guidance on the price; he's asking $1800 for the set, which seems pretty reasonable.
Any help is truly appreciated!

Some googling of "dolphin skeleton key" turned up several photos of keys that are identical except for the keying at the tip.  Unfortunately, no historical info I could find.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:57:00 pm by Aardvark! »

Aardvark!

Re: Need help with Louis XIV furniture set
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
more photos:

Aardvark!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:11 pm »
and more photos:

Aardvark!

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
One last photo.  I read that larger dovetails with slight imperfections lend to and items credibility?

Hmmm....looking around found more info on the key, several different sites have photos of keys like this that are from 1920's phonographs.  That's not very encouraging...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:03:21 pm by Aardvark! »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:53 pm »
I'm just going to toss out the opinion that the pieces of furniture you've posted are not from the exact time-frame you've mentioned in your post .

I would suggest that you ask , in a friendly & direct manner , that the owner provide you with a provenace for these items .

If you notice the metal decorations on the 'feet' , you'll see exposed slotted screws (not all that common in high-quality furniture) ... my money says that if you were to examine these pieces of hardware you'd be looking at something much much younger than 1770 !
The hinges do not seem so old either ....

But hey , if it's a good solid & sturdy set & you must have it ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
I personally think they have their styles wrong !! Although the set appears French in style,, Louis XIV was during the Baroque period and this set would be quite tame for that time !! I agree with Fancypants that its later than what they say !! The marble top appears to be cultured marble rather than natural so it may have been replaced at some point !! I just don`t see the color variations that occur in natural marble and the overall patterning is excessively even !!  I haven`t seen all the pics but I would say this set is mid 1800`s or so !!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:01:36 pm by mart »

mfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:05 am »
Looks like quite typical European furniture from the late 19th century.  Here on the west coast we have a lot of dealers who bring containers of it over from Belgium particularly.  There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't for a moment believe it's 18th century.  That orange marble is very typical of what we see here.  BTW, smaller hand cut  dovetails are much harder to make that large hand cut dovetails.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »
I am a collector of that era.  That era was elaborate and your set, although nice, is very plain compared to the items produced during that era.

I would think later 1800's with the feet/details, etc.  Doesn't appear to have been from a "high-end" furniture maker.  BUT it does look to be well-made.

I do believe it is European.  I agree with comments from all.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Aardvark!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »
Thank you for the extemely helpful replies- this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  I don't believe at all that the seller is deceitful, just misinformed.  I believe my in-laws likely will still want the items, the question is just going to be price.  What do you think a fair offer would be?

Something interesting- the keys look identical to the keys for the Edison A\B\C 250 phonograph shown on this page:
http://www.oldcrank.com/articles/keys/keys.html
Not sure how to explain that??
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:45:50 pm by Aardvark! »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
Keys of that era were not very specific to the furniture !! I used to keep many keys that I found at various places,, even garage sales !! As a dealer when something came in without its key trying a few from my stash usually found one that would work !! Could be where yours came from !! I don`t think the person is trying to put one over on you but is more likely going with what he was  told when he purchased it,, and yes,, is just not familiar with the styles !!  How many pieces are with the set ??  Just the two ??  If so I would offer $1250. cash !! That would be fair in my opinion but even at $1500. still better than you can find today !!   Just make sure that its in excellent condition at that price !!