Author Topic: Antique hand press brass pasta maker  (Read 5081 times)

agreeneyes

Antique hand press brass pasta maker
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »
I believe this is a pasta maker that is used by putting the dough in one cylinder and placing the other cylinder on top and pressing the handles together which pushes the dough through the disc that's inserted in the bottom.  There are 3 dics with 3 different styles of holes and they are stored in the bottom when not in use.  There isn't any name but I believe this older because of the style.  Does anyone know the age of this item and possibly the value and where it would have been made.  It's approximately 3 1/2 inches tall and discs are approximately 2 inches round.  Thank you

adam82376

Re: Antique hand press brass pasta maker
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:35 pm »
Its Called an extruder looks old, Look up vintage extruders....It could have also been use for pottery, clay and pottery makers were known for using them.

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:49 am »
I tried to look up brass extruders and found nothing resembeling this.  Any suggestions on what sites to look for and when you say it's old do you have an idea of how old and possibly the value of something like this.  I've been unable find anything like it, thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:45:12 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HAND-FORMED-HAND-HELD-BRASS-PASTA-EXTRUDER-W-DIFFERENT-STYLE-DIES-DISC-/220978837592?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item33735d7858
Are you buying or selling it ??  There are other tubular extruders on etsy and another site that are approx same size but different handles !! They are made in India and I suspect that is where yours is from !!  These are for small amounts of pasta or noodles of any type !! If it were from Italy,,their pasta makers are for much larger amounts !!  One on etsy was priced at $40. didnt say if it sold or not !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:50:30 pm »
I'm selling one I listed it on ebay already.  So what do you think the age of mine is and do you have a link for the ones on sale on etsy, I entered several different ways and I was unable to find anything with pasta maker or brass extruder so I'm not sure what I enter to find one like mine, thank you for your informaltion

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:56 pm »
Great for kids/grandkids with playdough!!!

We used to use our old one for this!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80246009/vintage-brass-press-for-pasta
This is the one on etsy !! It is 6 in. tall  Yours is sure small for pasta !! 6 inches would not be much pasta !! Perhaps yours is for something else !! That die with the single opening is an odd shape for pasta,  unless it was for fusilli corkscrew pasta !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:19:39 pm »
thank you for link, my handles don't turn you just press down but this does give some idea

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »
Try searching for "pasta press from India" and see if anything comes up !! I would imagine that there are just as many different types in India as there is here or in Italy !!  Everyone has there own idea of how to make it better !!

adam82376

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:06:41 pm »
If anything the value of the Brass will bring you something. Pottery maker will probably bid higher on it then someone who will use it for pasta.

agreeneyes

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:27 am »
thank you for all of the information, I'll keep trying

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:20 am »
agreeneyes....what you have there is a chakli press (also referred to as a murukku press  or chakri press for the murukku noodle treat that is typically made with it.) It is also used to make typical dishes such as Ribbon Pakodas (using chickpea flour) and rice noodles. 

This originated in South Indian cultures and yours is a typical brass press. They typically come with 5 plates so that when the chakli is pressed through it can make all kinds of interesting shapes. They now make newer presses that are MUCH easier to operate; however, this is the traditional way and requires LOTS OF MUSCLE.  These are still sold in India. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:33 am »
Aaa Haa !!! Found it !!  You have a murrukku maker !! Or sev sancha !!  Sev is a common snack food in India made from deep fried chick pea flour !! This is it !!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/images/kitchengargets/janthikalamaker1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2005/12/04/muruku-maker/&h=287&w=450&sz=31&tbnid=ggg6wsCBK-BSqM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=141&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmurukku%2Bmaker%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=murukku+maker&docid=pJLCiC1Q_R-3VM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=egdmT_7pIKbh0QH8-Ny_CA&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAA

Wow Thats a long url !!  It said that the murrukku makers were often passed down from generation to generation which may account for the aged look of yours !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:17:09 am »
We must have been typing at the same time KC !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:19:59 am »
This is why I always come to you guys and ask the experts, you're too good, thank you so much for all of help and information