Author Topic: Shot in the dark here  (Read 1496 times)

@heir

Shot in the dark here
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:52 pm »
Unfortunately, I really do not have much information on this dresser and am hoping that maybe someone knowledgeable could try to shed some light on it. What I do know is that this thing is very large, and heavy. I want to say its pretty solid wood but there is a small chip in it on the corner that looks almost like a veneer but the wood that's exposed beneath that spot looks the same as the top. The mirror is held in place with brackets that have pins that slide into another bracket so it swivels. The carvings seem to have been attached after the backing was made but are very detailed. The mirror is beveled. The drawer part is wavy in a "s" shape and the drawers have no visible hardware to slide on, its all wood. The front of the dresser has keyholes that look to fit a skeleton key of some sort. My grandmother had keyholes like this in her now historic home and around the keyholes on each drawer there is this decorative plate that is gold in color. The handles look almost like silver but I'm pretty sure that's a huge wishful thought there. Other than that its very tall, about 83 inches and sits on tiny wheels that seem comically small for the size of the dresser. As far as i have been able to tell, there are no markings from a manufacturer of any kind anywhere and seems that no metal was used to hold anything together. Anyone wanna take a guess?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Shot in the dark here
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:48 am »
That is called a “bow front” oak dresser ….. and a mighty pretty one, I might add. I have never seen one with as fancy a top above the mirror as that one has.

The drawer pulls are "stamped" brass.

Those were made during the days when Golden Oak furniture was popular …. anywhere from the late 1800’s to the 1930’s.

My guess is the dresser top is solid wood, but given the “bow front” drawers they could be veneered.   

Just Google “images” for ….. Golden Oak dressers …… and/or …. check this one out:

http://www.homeplacefurniture.com/homeplace/antiques/furniture/2652_OakDresser.htm

@heir

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:13:31 am »
Thanks! I actually was at an auction and fell in love with this thing but couldn't find much about it to even know if I overpaid for it but I wanted it so bad I don't think I care. Lol.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:36 am »
HA, .... now you know the only way to know if you overpaid for it ....... is for you to fall out of love with it. ;D ;D ;D ;D

If you decide to refinish it, ..... just use a liquid "stripper" (not a paste) to remove the old finish ....... then apply a coat of Min-Wax Golden Oak stain ..... and then a top coat of varnish or whatever ....... and it will look like the one in that picture I posted the link for.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:42:12 am »
Excellent Cogar !! Beautiful dresser !! This one and many others were made when transitioning from the large heavily carved pieces more common to the Empire revival of the late 1800`s early 1900`s !! I have had a few with this type mirror !! Some of it as Cogar said may be veneered !!  Look carefully at the edges and usually you can see the edge of the veneer !!

matty77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
Appears though the one escutcheon may be a replacement - the brass looks too new...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:30 am »
Oooh lovely! I would not refinish it, but would preserve the original finish. If the top surface is stained or scratched up, I would put a "dresser scarf" or an antique crochet doillie on top, and maybe a nice pitcher and bowl. That would look great and cover any major issues. And if you love it, there is no such thing as over-paying!  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery