Author Topic: I need their opinion on this Russian icon  (Read 6271 times)

micaela

• View Profile
I need their opinion on this Russian icon
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »
Hi, I need their opinion on this Russian icon. He has a certification in Italian.

Regards

Mica

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: I need their opinion on this Russian icon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:29:36 am »
Is there a date on the letter?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01:44 am »
In The latter certifique that this icon date in the midle of 1700. Really I dont sure. For this I ask.

regards

Micaela

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:59:18 am »
Michaela, I think what KC was asking was is there a date on the letter for when it was written.

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:07:54 am »
I don't see date.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:20 am »
Okay, my 2 cents.  I have been to Russia many times, and have purchased "new" icons.  I do know that unless illegally received THEY DO NOT ALLOW THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY....I and a friend who is an art dealer have had them confiscate items because they didn't believe that they were newer.  With all the required paperwork!  They can age items amazingly...  I had a large oil painting taken that was painted within the year and they claimed it was hundreds of years old because the artist did such an amazing job on it!

Could this have been taken out before that?  Yes

Are the chances that it is a fake?  Not just Yes but YES, they are a buzz for tourists and sell like hotcakes.

Do I recommend that you take it for a hands on inspection and appraisal?  Yes...for if you do have an icon from that time period....it could/would demand some $$ and you need it appraised.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:51:21 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:47:53 am »
I'm with KC 100% ...see an expert in icons !

It's really a bit odd for a 'modern' authentic "certification" to be undated ...
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:47 am »
Thank you for their opinion.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:32 pm »
Santo Nicola "Saint Nickolas" 1294, Russian icon,, but his relics are in Bari, Italy !!  I think this is something done for the Italian tourist trade !! Thats why it has an Italian letter of certification !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 12:03:45 am »
Agree Mart...but it appears that some discernable letters on back of wood are Russian.  So, Russian artist for Italian Icon?  Highly possible these days!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:58 am »
I believe he was a Russian saint according to what I read !! Now why his relics are in Italy,, I don`t know !!  Didn`t read that far !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
If you go into your old antique guides you will see that icons were obtainable in this country and most of them came from the Orthodox Russian and Greek people of faith and were, and still, are highly treasured as works of art. The fact that there are so many tourist versions does not eliminate the absolute possibility that this could be an authentic icon. It may well be, but I do not see any authority here that can, beyond doubt, disprove it. If I have offended someone I apologize, but, I have seen Russian icons, as rare as they are, turn up at auctions and other markets with absolute authenticity.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »
Could someone with high speed read this and see if its the(hopefully) translated version of the cert. letter ??
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvm0222.cs04.seeweb.it%2Fgazzettadelmezzogiorno%2Fbooks%2F120108tara%2F
This was the only one that sounded close!! I waited forever and could get the page to come up !!  Might be the wrong one but we can see !! 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
Could someone with high speed read this and see if its the(hopefully) translated version of the cert. letter ??
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvm0222.cs04.seeweb.it%2Fgazzettadelmezzogiorno%2Fbooks%2F120108tara%2F
This was the only one that sounded close!! I waited forever and could get the page to come up !!  Might be the wrong one but we can see !! 

*File could not be found  :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »
It says we are sorry but format cannot be found!