Author Topic: Is this brass mirror an antique?  (Read 3243 times)

krickard

• View Profile
Is this brass mirror an antique?
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »
Hi everyone! I bought this mirror at a auction today for $20. It's very heavy (maybe 35 lbs.) and large 35" H x 23" W. I've looked on the internet and can't find much out there. I have no idea if this is antique or valuable. I do want to resell it, so any ideas would be VERY helpful! Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Is this brass mirror an antique?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »
Are those welds on the metal back portion ??  Is the cover on back of the mirror masonite ?? Feels like burlap ???

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
Hi Mart, yes those are welds where the blue/purple colors are. The backing is that velvety material like what you would see on older picture frames.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »
Those birds at the top remind me of the King Tut craze that was going around !!  Can you take a good pic of those ??
Is the fabric all that is on the back of the  mirror or is it solid like a board under it !! Take a close up of that backing in good light please !! Enlargement was a bit blurry on that !!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:01:45 pm »
Here you go Mart, thanks for taking the time. I hope these help. The backing is a hard cardboard material.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:16 pm »
Thanks,, Let me get back on this tomorrow if you don`t mind !! These old eyes,, and the rest of me,, are a bit tired tonight !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:57 am »
From the way its made and the masonite on the back I would say this is a 70`s or after mirror !!  I don`t think its brass but not positive,, looks more like white metal with a gold toned finish !! Bit of antiquing for contrast maybe !!  As far as value,, good large mirrors always sell well !!  Maybe $60. and could be more depending on who wants it and how bad !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:49 am »
I think the hardware says it all. You have Phillips head screws, which were invented in the 1930's. I don't think this is antique.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »
We tested it with a magnet and it doesn't stick, which leads me to believe it's real brass. Could you tell me how this can affect the price???? I will price at $60 but it seems low to me considering the material. Thank you!!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »
Its really hard to tell much looking at a pic !!  Just take something,, maybe a small nail and scratch the inside back of the metal portion and see if its the same color all the way through !! You can also look at the edge of the back and see if you can see a line where it was coated. If there are two colors its a coating. Its not usually hard to see !!  Most good brass will be the same color all the way through !!
Its a tough market to sell in today but if you are going with ebay,,start at $60. and see where it goes !! Use your own best judgement how to price it otherwise !!  Try whatever you think its worth !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »
This is made in the style that was seen even on Chippendale with the phoenix....agree that it is from 90's (not antique).

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:40 am »
Thanks KC !!  Knew I had seen that bird before but had brain fog !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24:08 am »
I am sorry, never answered your questions, you can sell this at a high end decor store for $150+ in my area.  You can sell as an individual for $40 to $80+.

To find more mirrors do a search for "Chinoiserie mirror Hoho Birds" on Google and look at images only!  You wlll have more to look at than you ever expected!

HoHo Bird was copied by Chipendale from the Hou Ho Bird  - The Japanese Phoenix.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:35:34 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!