Author Topic: Jacobean Monk's bench?  (Read 4702 times)

nsrnut

• View Profile
Jacobean Monk's bench?
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
Don't really know anything about this or it's value other than someone once thought it was Jacobean but wasn't really sure.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Jacobean Monk's bench?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:51 am »
Certainly is right form but much more carving than most I have seen !! Can I ask your location ??  Sometimes the more ornate benches are from the UK, France, Germany and tend to be older than the more commonly seen benches !!  A good pic of construction methods and underside would help !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
I can't offer any info but had to comment- Wowee!! What a bench!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

nsrnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:18:58 pm »
Thanks Mart. It's in Victoria BC so I'd say it came from jolly old England.
To view the under side would be a feat as it is very heavy. Here's a shot from the inside of the seat back wall. It has nails but appears it may have been reinforced over the years. The floor is slats of oak primarily.
Cheers.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:28:19 pm »
This isn't what you would call a Jacobean Monk's bench - they were benches that would convert into a table.

This is in the style of a pew or church bench.  If you search antique Renaissance bench or antique Gothic revival bench you might get more ideas.

The Gothic characteristics is the dark woods, Cinquefoil (flower), the trefoil (three lobed shapes), animals...but there aren't any pointed arches which are typical of this time.  But true to the Elizabethian/Jacobean time it has the scallop shells and dolphins.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:44:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

krickard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:40 am »
I believe it is a "Hall Bench" - if you use Google Images to find the carved variety, you will find many that appear similar to yours.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:58 am »
Both Hall Bench and Monks Bench are commonly used terms !! Similar items are found in both searches !!  Depends on who you ask as to what its called !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:41 am »
Can you please post a pic of the back?  Is there a compartment?  If so, pic of the hinges and any metal work please!?!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »
I just spent an hour at least looking at examples of heavily carved furniture and nothing seems to match the style of carving. If you look closely the carving from one upright top to the next does not repeat the pattern. Oh wait. Are those initials or monograms? The figures, paws and fish or dolphins appear to have an Egyptian look but Egyptian Revival was not heavy and dark. Moorish maybe? I think again too heavy.  To me this piece looks like it could be 16th Century but from where? The figures and style of carving does not look like any from Europe. Look at the dress of the figures. I hope you get a definite answer as this will drive me crazy. I will keep searching when time allows.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:02:15 pm by frogpatch »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:25 am »
Its oak and, if its from England, i'd say its a 19th century copy of the Jacobean style with some later victorian style carving. The carving is just to "busy" to be period but still appears to be hand made. Below is a link to a dealer who specializes in early english oak to give an idea of what period english 16th-17th century stuff looks like.

http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/current-stock/all

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:11 am »
jacon4.....have to agree that this is a combo of styles.  I also am starting to see letters along the top of the "columns" on the back frogpatch....maybe have looked at this too much!

I think you really need to have a hands on appraisal on this piece.  Let us know what you find out!

This is a really beautiful piece!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:11 am »
Yeah, the back panels are inlaid as well in the dutch style. This kind of thing was common during victorian times when they would combine 2 or more styles into the same piece.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:06:52 pm by jacon4 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »
jacon4.....have to agree that this is a combo of styles.  I also am starting to see letters along the top of the "columns" on the back frogpatch....maybe have looked at this too much!

I think you really need to have a hands on appraisal on this piece.  Let us know what you find out!

This is a really beautiful piece!

KC you're not the only one seeing letters.....'H' and 'C', right?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »
Yepper!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:19:59 pm »
Holy Cross Monastery ??  Did you notice the angels in those panels ?? Each upper corner ??  At least thats what they look like to me !!