Author Topic: Cork & Edge  (Read 1993 times)

mass99

• View Profile
Cork & Edge
« on: September 27, 2004, 01:20:55 pm »
I have acquired teapot from my grandmothers estate, it is white, about 9 inches x 9 inches and is about 5 inches height.  It says Cork & Edge on bottom with an eagle above the the Cork & Edge label, also say e pleuibus unum under the eagle, it is a small teapot, good condition, has a raised flower or vine pattern on teapot and lid, she told me it came from england and was made around 1860, the name burslam was also mentioned. Does anyone know the value of this or any information on Cork & Edge? thanks

kerrybee

• View Profile
Cork & Edge
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:10:47 pm »
and here's the mark - that is OLD - and follow the links on the site to get the company history -

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/c/cork.html

Interesting - e pluribus unum (sp)? is American - and the eagle too -  the old backstamps almost tell a storey don't they? Many British pottery pieces had lions, (they loved lions), crowns, shields, etc.   Did this company secretly support the brand new USA?   :rolleyes:

Value of your pot - from a few hundred to many more hundred - I'm a web researcher, not an appraiser, and I didn't find one exactly like yours, but running searches for antique pearl ware (and pearlware), I found a dozen or so from that era - and area of England - (Staffordshire)

http://www.teaantiques.com

KB    :)  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Cork & Edge
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:26:14 pm »
;) Hi' kerry nice work, e plurabus unum is latin. meaning. out of many one? interesting that they picked and american motto. value wise I would start at $250.00 dollars. I suspect a higher value. ;)  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Cork & Edge
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 10:03:31 pm »
Thanks D & B:  yes, I agree more $$ - -

Why I love web search:  I LEARN.  The fledgling pottery industry in the USA copied the British backstamps (frequently) = not necessarily to plagiarize but because that is what these manufacturers perceived the public wanted - the lions, etc, the royal, etc.  Then, Homer Laughlin, a Very American company, went one better - (D&B this is not new to you) and they produced a backstamp showing an American Eagle attacking a British lion that was laying on it's back and getting the worst of it!  Now that backstamp made a statement. !!!!

And on the teapot site I recommended to the original poster, there is a stein, very old, well made/decorated that says something to the effect wishing the new Americans stability or some such.  I think maybe they were "on our side"??

Perhaps we owe our British cousins for the right of free speech.  'Nuf said.  History lesson over.      KB