Author Topic: Stone Carved Bird and Floral Display Sculpture. Anyone Seen This Before?  (Read 1411 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
This is some sort of rock or stone carving. I believe it is Asian. Not sure of the year or date. No hallmarks or signature that I can see. Carving is of a bird and a floral/flower design. The stand is also some sort of clay or stone carving. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

KevinB

• View Profile
It looks like alabaster to me. I know alot of alabaster comes from Italy. I have no clue what the stand is made of. Good Luck!!!!!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Thanks. The stand is stone or some kind pottery.I tried doing some research and went onto EBay. However, I have no idea what to call this or what to even look it up under. Never seen anything like it before. Anyway,thanks for the info.

mart

• View Profile
Have you done the hot pin test to make sure it is stone ??  The flowers look like a daisy,, can`t see the bird well but similar to pheasant in shape !! Trying to put the two together !!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
No I haven't. Can you tell me more about the hot pin test? Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Just take a sewing needle or pin and hold it with pliers, heat the tip red hot or as close as you can and in a spot that can`t be easily seen try to stick the red hot needle into the object. Obviously it would not penetrate stone, pottery ect but if the item is a molded epoxy type or a similar type it will melt and penetrate !! I have seen a few items similar to the plaque that are resin. Can`t tell much from the front but thats what the back looked like to me !! Hope not but doesn`t hurt to check !!