Author Topic: KT& K-- found in basement  (Read 842 times)

domingorb6

• View Profile
KT& K-- found in basement
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:10 am »
Hello everyone.  I am sure you get a lot of the "i don't know what this is, but is it worth anything?" but I have tried searching online and can't find anything about this set specifically.  Any help would be appreciated.

I recently moved into an old house and buried deep in the basement corners were there were two boxes with glasses, plates and flatware in them.  The newspaper that was wrapped around everything was from 1962.  I have found what appears to be a mostly intact kt & k set.  It has a floral patter on the front and is 14k gold encrusted.  Some is in very good condition and on others the glazing is cracking and showing lines. 

So my first question is, is it worth anything? 

Second question is, how do I wash these pieces to get the dirt and grime of 50 years of basement dwelling off without damaging anything?

the haul

Here are a few of the glassware/ barware. 

Lastly, The flatware is mostly Cataract Silver Co. and WM. Rodgers & Son AA pieces.  I think they silverplated.  They sound like my regular stainless steel set when rustled together, but shine up really well when polished.  Are these worth anything?

Thanks again for your help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: KT& K-- found in basement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:24:21 am »
The china is by Knowles Taylor and Knowles and there is quite a bit of it around !! Try replacements.com to track down the pattern name !! Prices are not really good now but can run between &8. and $20. depending on what you are selling !!  Serving pieces are the higher priced !! Check the completed sales on ebay to see if any is selling or use the "sort by" and click "ending soonest" to see how bids are running !! Demand will depend on who may be looking for that particular pattern !!  Still  a nice find !!
As for cleaning,, try baking soda and soft terry cloth For a gentle scour on the dirt !! If its settled in the crazed areas you can soak in mild bleach solution then rinse and dry. No guarantee but you can try  !!