Author Topic: Aunt Jemima and Uncle? Salt and Pepper shakers  (Read 6583 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Aunt Jemima and Uncle? Salt and Pepper shakers
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:22 pm »
I just got these salt and pepper shakers. I've seen some similar ones on ebay. What do you think? I like hearing what everyone has to say! ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
Re: Aunt Jemima and Uncle? Salt and Pepper shakers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:29:19 pm »
I don`t think they are particularly old,,but if you paid less than $10. (preferably less than $5.) and are buying them for yourself they are OK !! And I forgot to say its Aunt Jemima and Uncle Mose !!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:38:43 pm by mart »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:47:09 pm »
The given to me by my 86 year old mother in law as a gift yesterday. She has had them for many many years. She says she held on to them because she thought they would be orth something one day. Now that she is 86 it doesn't matter as much, so she gave them to me.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:09:02 am »
I pulled up all the Aunt Jemima Salt & pepper sets and went to ending soonest in the sort by list,, of all listed only two had bids and it was for the early plastic/celluloid sets !! One was $10.50 and the other was $14.50 !! The one in your link is not worth or is it valued at that price !! Did you read all that person had written below ?? Basically they said that price is what they, as sellers, think, not necessarily its true value and that price includes a lot of added charges thrown in !!
I am sure the set will gain some value over time and it was sweet of your mother in law to give it to you and certainly worth keeping !! But you cannot value an item by ebay`s start price on the highest one listed if thats the reason you gave that link !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
I was just dicussing this with a 97 yr. old friend who loves antiques. You go to shows things are expensive and you go on ebay and everyone wants something for nothing, lol. I'm not selling them. They are for my enjoyment. I love them. I don't collect salt and pepper shakers, but I think them are cute and from the time period.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:27 pm »
Actually shows are no different from ebay !! You see wide variations in prices at shows as well as ebay, but it doesn`t do any good if no one pays that price !! Dealers/sellers do not set the accurate value of anything,, the buying public does !!  If no one is buying that item,, price and overall value go down !!
You asked for an opinion on the set,, don`t know what you wanted or expected other than an approx value on todays market !!
Your set is cute and should be kept as a remembrance of the person that gave them to you,, not for any value or lack of it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »
I agree. I feel the buyers want to pay less on ebay.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »
Guess why they are called "Antique Shows" instead of Antique Sales ?? Cause thats about all they do is "show it" !!  Some of the deals that are made after the show are no where near the inside prices !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:57:36 pm »
Black Americana items hold their values well over time.  The really old pieces are collectors items.

I have a few pieces that are worth $$$...but they are priceless to me...they were my grandparents and I always thought the cookies tasted better if they came out of the cookie jars (even if they were store bought at times!  LOL).  So, won't be sold.

Your pieces don't look too old....but they would sell for $12 - $24 in an antique mall area for someone that just plain out likes them!!!

As always with everything...just takes the right buyer.

As for your question Aunt Jemima and Uncle?    I have heard him referred to as Uncle Moses.  I have also seen them referred to as Mammy and Cooky.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:59:51 pm »
Thank you for the info KC. I have some Blackmour brooches I bought a long time ago cheap. I love them. That's the only other Black American I have (if that's what you call it). I'm ecclectic. If I like it , It stays!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 07:28:16 pm »
It's Black Americana...not American.  If you search that...that is the name that has been attached to it!

I'm the same way!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:16:47 am »
I have a few pieces that are worth $$$...

KC, like maybe a celluloid S&P like pictured here:

http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/rv.fcgi?itemKey=3923700532

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:09 am »
Love those!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:17 am »
Couldn`t see that set Cogar,, Dial up you know !!  I had a celluloid set along with the matching cup that I sold back in the early 80`s !!  Brought $20. which wasn`t bad back then !!