Author Topic: Does somebody know that this is? kind of a harpoon?  (Read 1504 times)

micaela

• View Profile
Does somebody know that this is? kind of a harpoon?
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
Hi, I see this very rare item. for my imagination it is as a hand harpoon. Since he has a handle for the hand and in the same one a lever to close the harpoon a you are activated. The harpoon is activated hitting the tip and the hooks jump.

Regards

Micaela

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Does somebody know that this is? kind of a harpoon?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:24:04 am »
I think that is a "hay fork" iffen I remember correctly, .... not a harpoon.

But I guess you could call it a "hay harpoon" iffen you wanted too because that is the way it is used.

Rauville

• View Profile

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:33 am »
HA, the wife questioned my knowledge of that “hay fork” by asking “Did you check Google?”

So to prove it to her I went looking and found this great site with all kinds of old farm tools, many I have never seen before now, to wit:

This blogger called it a “hay harpoon” –  see picture #8 here:  http://toolanswers101.blogspot.com/

But he is wrong in saying it was used for lifting bales of hay. It is used to lift the “loose” hay off the hay wagons with. One summer in my teen years I helped my friend and his father put up hay and one was used to off-load the wagon. 

The wagon was pulled around the field and the loose hay was pitch-forked onto the wagon. The loaded wagon was pulled back to the barn and the load of hay was “harpooned” and in one fell swoop the entire load of hay was lifted up and into the hay mow via rope & and pulley ….. and when an attached rope was given a “yank” the harpoon let go and the hay fell to the barn floor. There was a “carriage track” that ran the full length of the barn ceiling, thus the hay could be “dropped” anywhere underneath it.

A vunderful labor saving invention, it was

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:56 am »
Okay cogar....I just spent the last 20 minutes on that site.  Surprised how many I knew from growing up around my grandparent's farm.  One of my uncles/cousins raises bucking bulls  as well and has had national winners.  (Junk Bull Company)

I truly enjoyed this site...but now on to getting things done!

Thanks for the site.  The Hammer section was good too!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!