Author Topic: Help needed: McCoy-Pillsbury doughboy "Baker Bob"  (Read 6208 times)

missyb27

• View Profile
Help needed: McCoy-Pillsbury doughboy "Baker Bob"
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:49:18 am »
I have a pillsbury doughboy cookie jar.  After doing some research I have found out it is a McCoy Baker Bob cookie jar.  It stands 10 1/2 inches tall.  My issue is on every site I have found this same cookie jar they state it is marked with 183 McCoy USA on the bottum.  However mine is marked with a later McCoy marking (McCoy in a triangle with a teapot? next to it).  I am wanting to sell this and was wondering if the difference in markings makes a difference as to its value.  I have included pics.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Help needed: McCoy-Pillsbury doughboy "Baker Bob"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »
Have you tried contacting the McCoy sites where you saw this info to ask them about your hallmark? They would probably be a good source for info. There is the possibility that you've got a reproduction and that the maker didn't do his homework researching the hallmark. I think I would contact this site: http://www.mccoypottery.com/cookiejars/ and see what they have to say. They could probably tell you if there is any possibility that it was produced by McCoy at a later time.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:37 pm »
Here's a site showing real and fake versions of this cookie jar. I would contact the site owner to ask which yours is:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/oldetymecollectibles/fake/fakemccoycj3.html

missyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I will try that!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:18:22 pm »
http://www.mccoypottery.com/mark.html  Also at same site is the marks page !!  It said that this was a very late mark which would mean that it was a newer cookie jar !!  And it said that some of these cookie jars were contracted out to other companies but it did not say if this mark was used on those !!

missyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »
Thank you for the advise.  I contacted the McCoy pottery site and found out that the cookie jar is a "real mccoy". The mark is from the 70's when McCoy was owned by the Mt.Clemens Pottery Co. I think this is a little unusual for this jar, as every other item like this I have found online is marked with the 183 McCoy USA
mark.  Glad to hear its not a repo :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
That's great news! We are glad to hear it too! Congrats!