Author Topic: Original Frederic Remington Etching  (Read 1279 times)

jbmbburns

• View Profile
Original Frederic Remington Etching
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »
I purchased an original etching called the "Courriers" by Remington today at an estate sale but cannot find specific information about it.  On the back of the frame in an envelope there was a COA from Oxford Art Galleries dated October 21, 1981.....it states that this is an original etching called the courriers and was stamped and signed by Richard Rogers of the Oxford Art Gallery. Could you help me with any information. Thank you.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Original Frederic Remington Etching
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:07 pm »
Found you a bit here........about 4/5 of the way down the page.

http://blackhorsewesterns.com/bhe18/

"The Couriers, done in 1883 for Harper's Weekly  is a very interesting illustration. We see two riders descending a hill, a civilian, possibly a Mexican, leading and a soldier following. It is not known how they fit into the story, but the foremost rider seems to be expecting trouble and appears to be carrying a rifle in his right hand. He is either left-handed or is a two-gun man................ ...."

There are several examples online of The Couriers watercolor dated 1885, that while very similar to the sketch is definitely not the same. Here is one site showing the watercolor.

http://www.watercolorpainting.com/famousartist/remington.htm

Should find lots of info on Frederic Remington and his work here.......

http://www.fredericremington.org/

jbmbburns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »
Thanks Sapphire......I sent photos to the Frederic Remington museum......they said it appears to be original and wasnt to familiar with this etching......They told me to get an appraisal done by a reputable fine art appraiser.....I contacted a print expert from the Antiques Roadshow and this is what I was told.......

I happen to like Remington and own some etchings, Your print appears to have the pressed border in the paper which indicates it was hand pressed on good quality paper using an old style etching or engraving press. Not being able to find it right away indicates it will take research to be able to help you further.

I will keep you guys informed of any other info I found out.......

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »
I would wait and see if the Roadshow appraiser gets back to you !! If not in a week or so repeat the email !! They could give a more accurate appraisal than we could since they keep up with the market !! I would ask that if he does please come back and let us know what they say !!