Author Topic: sideboard with no-445 marking  (Read 1905 times)

lje5006

• View Profile
sideboard with no-445 marking
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:15:00 pm »
I'm new to this, so please let me know if you need any additional information from me.

I recently purchased the sideboard/buffet in central PA. I am not able to find any distinguishing marks, except for on the back of the sideboard where it is stamped with "NO-445" I have attached a few pictures of the piece. Any information or details, including a relative age of the piece, would be be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: sideboard with no-445 marking
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
You have a very nice Jacobean Revival sideboard from late 20`s or 30`s !!  Appears to be burl walnut inserts on front but can`t see the top !! Can you take a good square shot of it ?? The number is that manufacturers  style number !!  Furniture was rarely marked with anything else !!

lje5006

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:36:53 pm »
Thank you so much for the quick response, Mart! And - for all of the information. I paid $200 for the piece (without knowing anything about it - just liking the way it looked). Do you think that was reasonable for what you believe it to be?

I attempted to take a few more photos...again, anything you can tell me would be fantastic. There are two holes in the back and one has a "bracket" type thing attached. I include a picture of that as well. I'm not sure if that is original to the piece or not.

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »
Is the bracket on one side and a matching hole on the other end where another bracket would have been ??  If so I believe it may have had a back at one time. In the pic that shows the bracket, if you look at the pic you can see a faint line where it would have sat on the top and a bracket on each side would have held it in place. The sideboard would be against a wall and the back was only a decorative piece a few inches tall so that would have been all it needed !!   $200. is a fair price for the sideboard and about market value for one in good condition.  Yours has a waterfall front which adds to its appeal as I see it and all the original pulls,, another plus !!. Still looking at the top,,,almost looks like satinwood but not sure !! Will let a few of the others give their 2 cents worth !!  I think you made an excellent buy !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »
Very pretty sideboard! I agree with mart on everything, late 20s to late 30s. $200 is a fair price, probably the full retail price of it though and it's not worth much more than that. Sideboards of this style usually sell for about $150-$175 in my area (Western Washington State). Furniture from this period is very eye appealing and unique but it's very hard to incorporate it into today's styles and homes. Very cool and a great piece of the past. :)

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:37 am »
Sometimes I find an original sticker or what is left of a sticker on the inside of a drawer with the makers name on it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:14 am »
Very pretty! I'm weighing in with a date of 20's-30's also.
Antiqueaholic in recovery