Author Topic: Jackie O Painting  (Read 1644 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Jackie O Painting
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:38 am »
I bought this painting months ago and to be honest I had no clue who it was. A few weeks ago someone was over and they said "Wow is that Jackie Kennedy"? Soon as they said it I thought holy crap it is her.

What is showing of the painting measures about 15" X 11". It looks like it is just signed TERRY and dated 1962. Most likely it was inspired by the first official White House press release photo from 1961 since its the same pose. I'm not sure what kind of painting it is. It seems like the paint is laid on alot thicker than any watercolors I have seen. It was done on blue paper that has some writing pressed into it. The only thing I could make out was 100% cotton.

I really like this painting. I don't feel my pictures do it justice. Most paintings I can find were done after JFK was assassinated and they always seem to have a sad look in her eyes. There is one condition issue. The painting is wavy. Is that something that could be fixed? Would it even be worth fixing? Any guesses as far as a value?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Jackie O Painting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »
Many student artists work from photos and thats likely how this was done !! You probably have an acrylic on watercolor paper !! The thicker tecnique is called impasto and basically just means thick paint !!  He didn`t do a bad job except for the prep for framing !! That waving is common if you don`t have the equipment for keeping it flat !!  Thats one reason I did not like working on paper !! Prior to painting with watercolors the paper is soaked then allowed to dry to the moisture content the artist likes to work with !! Some like it very wet and some do not !!  Its an individual preference !!  When it dries it waves as yours has done !! Pro`s have stretchers to keep it flat !! One way that might help is to take it out of the frame, lay it face down on a good flat surface and press it with an iron on medium heat, do not use the steam on your iron, just dry heat and light pressure !! For stubborn spots use a mist sprayer with clean water to dampen the back lightly then press  again !! When finished place between heavy books, or two clean glass panes, or on the table with heavy piece to cover and let sit a few days, then reframe with good archival backer board and a glass front with spacers !!  You can buy this at frame shops, hobby shops and sometimes Wal-Mart !!  As far as value,, people will always buy pictures of Jackie Kennedy no matter who painted it !! But there is no collectors value !! I  would say it might bring $50. to $75. if properly framed just because of who it is !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »
Super informative as usual mart! I'll use the iron and I have heavy pieces of glass from a glass desk that should flatten it back out. $50 to $75 sounds good to me. Thanks mart!! I'll let you know how things turn out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:20:52 am »
Make sure the steam is off on your iron and test the heat on a white paper towel to make sure it will not scorch and if it seems too hot turn down a bit !!  Some irons heat differently !!  Sometimes if the iron has been used with steam feature, the water will leak even if turned off !! I like to check on the paper towel just to make sure !!  Let me know how it does !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:41:21 pm »
Word of caution....Some paintings don't do well with direct heat on them (even watercolor) to get rid of the wave.  If you have an old sheet or thin cotton piece (tight weave) place that down first then press.  Keep the iron moving (don't have to be lightening speed quick) but don't let it sit in one spot!

Great advice as usual Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »
Thanks KC !! Should have remembered the pressing cloth or even paper towel between !!  I have never had a problem with acrylics and gentle heat but since we are not certain what this is painted with,, its better to use a cloth between to be on the safe side !!