Author Topic: Old Chest  (Read 1761 times)

martin07

• View Profile
Old Chest
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:17:27 pm »
Hello Forum Members,

I am a new member to the forum and don't know much about
antiques.  I have attached pictures of what I believe to be
an old chest that came from my friend's mother's attic.  My
friend repainted the chest, which I don't think was a good idea.

Does anyone know what type of chest this is and if it has any
value?

Thank You for your help.

Marty

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Old Chest
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
Although painting would certainly reduce the value, in the case of trunks most of them don't have much value anyway because they are so common.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:06 pm »
These old trunks are in common use today as storage/stowage decorative trunks , where in the past their lives were closer connected to travel .
Often left vacant & sometimes 'abused' by the elements & humans alike , it's becoming harder to find ones that are still fit , as it were , to be used as intended .
Commonly these guys had @ least one sorta tray-shaped & removable top 'shelf' , sometimes with lidded compartments for 'dainties' & such .
Intact & original trunks tend to bring more dough from the people who have an affection/affliction with collecting them .

Sometimes these items are molded/mildewed/funky-smelling , which is a real turn-off to prospective buyers ... my folks used to put a coffee can , with holes in the top , full of cedar shavings in theirs .

martin07 , you might want to check the outside of your item with a magnet (which would indicate that the trunk 'skin' is metal) if you're curious about that .
Painted metal ones , sim to yours are usually up for sale (& selling) around here (PacNorthWest)for under $75 USD .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rsorgel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »
i come across alot of trunks and to be honest yours doest look as old as most i see. while in collectors value painting it loses its value, most trunks are bought by common folk for other purposes ie: dress up clothes chests, blanket chests, etc. in this case its better to be painted than look like a turn off. id guess its worth about 50$

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »
I agree !!  No huge value but many of these are still being used simply as decorator items !! Yours looks in pretty good condition !!  I would just use it for storage !!  Makes a good blanket storage container and looks good !!  Prices given are about right  $50. to $75. !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:53:36 pm »
Agree with everyone else! Age is late 1800s-about 1910.