Author Topic: Baby potrait reproduction  (Read 1727 times)

jerzey101

• View Profile
Baby potrait reproduction
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
Found this old photograph of a baby in my grandmother's house after she passed. Any idea who it is or what it is? I would say family member but I don't understand why there are so many reproductions of it. Or does no.221 mean something else not that it was the 221 copy?

The bottom left says "Reproduction Interdite" and the bottom right says "Mode Illustree 1862 no. 221". No other writing on it. Thank You!

http://imgur.com/ly5oP

mart

• View Profile
Re: Baby potrait reproduction
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
I can not get the pic to download so I can see it !!  Can you post the pic here ??

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »
mart, hope this turns out right side up  ;)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:07:32 pm »
Jerzey, are you able to get a look at the back of the photo itself? It may contain more info.

It's hard to tell with the glare of the glass, what is he/she sitting on and are there any other background details that might give a clue as to age/time?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:09:04 pm by sapphire »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:45 am »
Thanks Sapphire for rescuing me !!  Pic looks like a typical 40`s or thereabout photo !! I would guess its of a family member and the parents probably had copies made to give to extended family, friends ect !!  Back then everybody got pics as the child grew !! I know Olan Mills Studio did pics of my brother and me and when you had a package done and got to look at the proofs, those not chosen for the package deal could be bought for a small additional cost and mother sent them to aunts and uncles, friends ect that did not live close !!