Author Topic: Help identifying a sterling (maybe?) silver stamp  (Read 881 times)

Stan519

• View Profile
Help identifying a sterling (maybe?) silver stamp
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »
Hello all.  I grabbed a bag of about 14 commemorative spoons at a garage sale on Saturday, pretty even split between normal and silverplate, but there is one in there that caught my eye, and I think it's sterling, but the stamp is quite faded and I can't quite make it out.  If anybody with a better eye than I have can let me know about the stamp, it would be appreciated.

Also, I'm new here, and I apologize if this is in bad form, but if anybody reading this knows about NAO figurines could check out my other topic ( http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=10943.0 ) and give any advice there, it would be appreciated as well.

Thanks all for your time.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help identifying a sterling (maybe?) silver stamp
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »
 By Levi & Salamon, Birmingham, !!  Those hallmarks are pretty worn !! First one would be the purity stamp,  I am drawing a blank on the second one and I know it so give me a minute to think !! Letter e is either date/town stamp or makers mark depending on which site you read !!  It did say that it could be plated if all the marks are not in the set but Sterling would have five stamps and yours has three it looks like !!  English silver marks are confusing sometimes so I will stick with the mark !!  Your L&S mark was registered in 1910 with an almost identical mark in 1915 so it could be either one !! You could compare the two to be sure if you want !!

What does NAO stand for ??
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:35:39 pm by mart »