Author Topic: vintage spice cabinet  (Read 1789 times)

rogue

• View Profile
vintage spice cabinet
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
We got this at the same place we got the ashtray. Best i could find on it is the 50's 60's era?? It is labeled Holmar hand crafted in Japan. The girl said she found it in a box of her mothers stuff in the attic. It is brand new never used condition. Bottles and labels are still in their sealed packaging. I'm stumped since it is basically new but apparently old. Anyone available for some input on this item?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: vintage spice cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:03:29 pm »
At first glance I'd say 60's........ reminiscent of my mom's old set. Could you take a shot of one of the bottles as well as the label.

Came across this small shelf with 6 bottles on ebay and based on what I could see of your bottles they are similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-SPICE-ISLANDS-Vintage-Single-Rack-6-Bottles-/110754036039

rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:05 pm »
Sorry as I said they are still sealed. Here is an open shot though. The labels are sealed as well. I will see what I can get without opening it. The bottles are stamped Japan also.

rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »
Sorry for the double post but one other note. The spice list has nutmeg and mace. Which is interesting since they are from the same.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's late 60's - early 70's 'gift set' type of item , often seen in stores of the era , around Christmas time ... should have 'lickum-to-stickum' adhesive on the back of the lables .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:53:04 am »
I agree with the 60`ish date !! These were found in most kitchens ours included !! I will say that your cabinet looks like a much better quality than most !! These sets always had several spices on the labels that may not be common to some areas or to some cooks !! But they tried to cover all their bases !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:50 am »
Ditto....late 60's to early 70's.  Not a high dollar item but is still desirable!!!

You look like you have lotsa' fun on your thrifting trips!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!